You Say That Things Change, My Dear

She stretches languidly, feeling unusually refreshed and comfortable. The sun is streaming through the open window but not quite reaching her on the bed. Not her bed. Not her room. She is momentarily confused, then something between a smirk and a blush crosses her face as she remembers where she is. The expression vanishes as the emptiness of the room hits her. Perhaps he had second thoughts.

Resolutely, she gets up and works on making herself more presentable, thankful that the bathroom is attached and doesn't require her to go down the hallway and potentially run into Steve. Following that thought, she supposes she will go out the window again. It won't be quite as exciting this time, and the uncertainty that fills her won't be pleasant to deal with the rest of the day, but she'll be fine.

As she is ducking out the window, she hears the door open behind her, and turns to look.

"Leaving already?" The question is casual, but the look on James' face as he leans against the doorframe shows too easily how he feels about it.

She smiles, glancing at the tray he's carrying. No one has ever brought her breakfast in bed before. "Not if you'd rather I stay," she tells him calmly.

Lifting the tray a little awkwardly to bring her attention to it, he steps inside and kicks the door shut behind him. "It's probably more than I should eat by myself," he says.

"Of course," she agrees, sinking back onto the bed in the absence of anywhere else to sit. He sits down next to her, lightly, as though expecting her to tell him to move. "Didn't know you could cook," she says conversationally to set him more at ease.

His body language doesn't change, but a smile flickers across his face. "Me neither."

Steve would be upset by that kind of humor, she figures, but she appreciates it. It's important to be able to laugh at yourself, no matter what's happened to you. At least, that's what she's always thought. So she grins. "Well, let's find out if we should add this to your list of surprising skills," she suggests, and his smile grows.

They are silent while they eat, but not awkwardly so. When they've finished, he puts the tray on the dresser and remains standing, looking at her. She leans back and smiles confidently at him, waiting to see what he'll do. Before she can find out, JARVIS' polite voice makes both of them jump.

"Sgt. Barnes, Capt. Rogers is requesting your presence in the debriefing room in half an hour. Ah, Agent Romanoff, you are invited as well."

An unexpected giggle won't be contained, and she covers her mouth to muffle it. James looks up at the ceiling, perhaps startled by the AI in the building, then slowly smiles back at her.

"Well, I'd better go get ready," she says, getting to her feet. When she goes to walk passed him, he catches her arm lightly and kisses her thoroughly. "Maybe we should just take the day off," is her suggestion afterward, sounding a little dazed.

He presses a kiss to her forehead, holding her close. "I don't know that we're allowed to take days off," he answers thoughtfully.

"You don't think our contracts cover sick days?"

"We have contracts?"

Laughing, she shakes her head. "Fine, duty calls. We'd better answer."

He nods, expression serious. "Do you think... should we tell Steve?" he asks hesitantly.

"Tell him what?"

"That two of his agents are compromised and may be less reliable in the field."

She wonders if that's how their relationship was described last time. "You think we'll be less reliable?" she returns, raising an eyebrow in challenge.