Chapter 2: The Start of the Selection

I sat on the stage paralyzed with nerves and fear. I didn't know the order in which Eadlyn would open the envelopes, and I was scared to death that my name wouldn't be there.

As she opened the thirty-fourth envelope, I knew she would call the one my name might be in last. Her parents probably told her to leave our section for last, as a kind of finale.

I didn't hear the name she called from the thirty-fourth envelope and hoped my theory was right. Eadlyn picked up the final envelope and my sweaty hands shook with nerves.

She hesitated, with a look of puzzlement and terror on her face.

She quickly pulled it together and weakly said "Kile Woodwork."

I jumped out of my seat with joy, not believing what had happened. I quickly sat back down when I noticed everyone staring at me.

I looked at Eadlyn, but she had her back to me and was arguing with her parents. Probably about me. I hadn't realized how much she hated me.

I glanced at my mother, and she was smiling at me. I think she knew I put my name in, which meant she knew about my love for Princess Eadlyn.

I just hoped Josie didn't find out.

Six Days Later:

Today was the day before I went to the palace. Mother had bought me a new suit, even though I hardly had to make a first impression.

That night I stayed up, wondering what I could do to show Eadlyn who I really was.

The following day, I was driven even farther away from the castle in order to be driven back with the other men in the Selection.

I thought it was stupid, but I was going to se Eadlyn, so I couldn't complain.

I was put in the back of a car along with three other guys named Jack, Hale, and Ean.

Jack seemed greedy, Hale seemed too nice for Eadlyn's taste, and Ean was WAY overconfident. It looked like I had a pretty good chance so far.