I pulled my hood tighter around my face as I drove through Volterra. I wasnt exactly excited about being back in this place after roughly 100 years and it hadnt changed. It still had that old rustic feel but the Volturi had taken care of it. They had preserved it and restored it through generous donations and through charities and other things. It didnt surprise me. They were notorious for that sort of thing. I pulled up to the Volturi headquarters and looked out the window. I took a moment and sat there blinking before getting out of the car and under the cover to the valet. "Park my car in Alec Volturi. And please have my things taken to my room. Oh and keep this between the two of us." I said slipping the valet some money with the keys and heading inside. I glanced over to the secretary as I walked in the door. She tried to stop me but I stared at her behind my black sunglasses and hissed. "I am Alec and I am expected. So please." She shied away and returned to her desk as I headed to the large double doors which opened upon my approach.

With my head held high I could see there was a court going on and I was interrupting. I didnt care though. "Ah. Alec. It is such a pleasure to see you again. I wasnt expecting you so soon. Bree and Jane shared with me what has happened and I assumed you would travel some more." I shook my head. "No. I have no wish to travel more. I found who I was looking for." Aro's eyes brightened and he held out his arms before clapping once. "I am thrilled for you. Where is she?" I looked up at him and frowned. "She was taken from me." His eyes fell and he frowned. "I am sorry, dear Alec. Well you are welcomed back. You are apart of our family." I chuckled and shook my head.

"I believe you misunderstand. The person who took her returned here with her so I have come to be with her." Aro tilted his head with confusion and I glanced over seeing Bree sitting on a bench in a pure black robe. I was surprised to say the least but I looked back up at Aro. "Jane took her and brought her back with her." Bree glanced over toward me and frowned with confusion. I could tell she wasnt happy and that she was just doing this for them so she could protect her family. She was a captive just as we all were. "You mean Miss Bree? Oh! Delightful! She is a wonderful addition to our family and now you are back home. Our family is whole again. You are just in time to watch court proceedings. Please. Sit with your mate."

I nodded and moved to sit next to Bree. She sat still as a statue. I knew she wasnt happy I was here. She had wanted me to stay behind. To stay protected. She did all this to protect us. I didnt remove my sunglasses as we sat there. I frowned and looked away as they senteced and tore the vampire apart. I hadnt been really paying attention but I believe they killed him because he had gone on a rampage of some kind. I didnt honestly care. I was too worried about what had already happened to Bree.

It had been a little over a week and a half since I saw her last and I had a feeling she was rather hungry. But from what her family had said she hadnt had a drop of human blood since before she left the army. She was the only one that didnt falter in her hunger. I had to admit I was jealous of her self control. She had a perfect record. Well at least since the army. I wish I could have spared her that life. I refused to let her family tell me her life story for I wanted to hear it from her but I knew it was difficult. Not sure how much she and I had in common but I knew we both had a hard life.

Finally after sitting and watching court the three lead Volturi members called for meal and I glanced at Bree who tensed and I knew she wouldnt be able to handle the humans in the room and hold it together then I glanced toward Aro and stood before bowing deeply. "My lord. If you will allow it. I would like to take Bree and spend some time with my mate if you'd allow please." Aro seemed impressed at my change in manners but nodded with agreement. "Very well. Enjoy your time together. We will send for you when we need you." I nodded and bowed once again and offered my hand to Bree who took it nervously and I couldnt be sure but I also believe she might have been shaking and escorted her out of the room and away from the room where you couldnt smell the human blood because it was downwind. I didnt stop and neither of us spoke as we made our way to my room which was far enough away that I couldnt smell the tempting humans.

Walking to the door I easily unlocked it which had evidence of the humans bringing my bags up but that was all. I opened it and guided her inside and set her on the bed before moving and locking the door then moved to the closet door and opened it and rummaged to the back and unlocked that door. Returning I took Bree's hand once more and guided her to the back of my closet and out the door and then closed it behind us. We headed down the spiral staircase and to the room below.

Soon I guided her to a wall and opened the hidden door behind a painting and into a small corridor and down the way before we came to a door that led into the forest below Volterra. Walking out the door I guided Bree to a place I often hunted. I could tell she was hungry. I knew she needed something to drink and that was why I brought her here. I stood behind her and leaned into her ear. "Hunt to your heart's content. There are no humans around for you to harm. Only animals. Enjoy, Dear Bree." Her eyes grew lightly and before I knew it she was gone and hunting. I followed hunting nearby to keep an eye on her.

After awhile I sat upon a large rock waiting and watching as she got her fill. She sank her teeth into a rather large animal. I was too distracted by her amazing and surprising grace to see what kind of animal it was. She had probably taken down roughly four huge bucks. I had to say I was jealous and impressed. She was amazing. I couldnt help but enjoy watching her beautiful skills and talent at hunting and taking down animals nearly three times her size. Even I took awhile to take big game down but she was incredible. When she finshed she sat herself upon the carcass of the creature and stared at the ground. Her hair was in her eyes but she looked beautiful. The most natural I had seen her yet. Unguarded and innocent. Despite being froze as a 16 year old in a 15 year old's body she was wise. After all she was a leader. Her family looked to her for guidance and I had only seen her in control and confidant. I enjoyed seeing her vunerable and young. It gave me another inside into this amazing woman.

Sitting there I continued to watch her. I waited until she made a move of sound. She sat silent for sometime and I noticed she was fiddling with her necklace. I had learned what that necklace meant to her as well as the rest of the family. I tilted my head watching her as she utilized her uncanny ability to pick up human mannerisms. It was strange. She fidgeted and slouched and paced and twirled her hair sometimes. I found it strange at first but then noticed it was who she was. It was a natural reaction for her. But it was one of the many thing I loved about her. Sitting there still I waited for her to do something. Anything. "Why did you come? You were suppose to stay behind. I left to protect you. To protect all of you. You didnt listen. I told you to listen." I frowned hearing her. I knew she wouldnt be happy about this. But I decided to let her continue.

When she finished I sighed and nodded. "You are correct, Miss Tanner. You did it to protect us but we knew you would need protection as well. And since they would not be able to gain full access to you they sent me. I was the only choice. Aro wouldnt let anyone else near you. You are now his greatest weapon and he doesnt want to lose you. He trusts me and if he believes me to be your mate then he will continue to let me near you. But we must not let him touch us. You must share your thoughts but not touch him. They knew I could and would protect you with my life. Even if you believe we are not mates I would protect you until I am dead and ash. Because I love you and nothing you say or do will ever change that. So please. Let me do the mission your family has assigned me and allow me to protect you. Please, love." I glanced over at her and she was staring at me. I could see the confusion and contemplation. She didnt want to accept it but I think she knew the family card could bring her around and she would fall and allow my protection.

She shook her head and sighed lightly. I could tell she wasnt happy but she caved nonetheless. "Fine. I will allow your protection but we have to be smart about this. If they find out we are both dead, you hear me. Dead. If the Volturi doesnt kill you then my family will..." I smiled and nodded. "I understand, Ms Tanner. Now please. Allow me the privilege of being your pretend mate to save your life." She smiled and I had a feeling that if she could she would be blushing. "Very well but do not mistake this as anything other then protection. Do not confuse your feelings or mine. I am destined to never have a mate and that is how it is meant to stay. I do not wish for you to fall in love with me only to have your heart broken in the end." I knew she was my intended but it was as they had said. She would not come easily to the notion. I would just have to get her to fall in love with me and I would court her every chance I got.