chapter 27

Lauren is almost through another episode of That 70s Show before Camila returns to the living room.

"That was my boss. We had to coordinate scheduling for next week because there was initially some overlap between the bands we're bringing in that needed to be smoothed out. And she had like a million questions about the research I was doing last night. It's weird being treated almost like an equal," Camila explains as she plops down on the couch and Lauren pauses the show.

"Just don't let her take too much credit when your work lands the both of you in good graces with upper management. The moment you outshine her she'll likely try to knock you back down a notch," Lauren cautions.

"I think I'm ready to be more assertive," Camila replies as she drifts into deeper thought about other aspects of her life where she could benefit from following through with this goal.

She doesn't realize she is zoning out until Lauren begins waving a hand in front of her face.

"Would you like me to pour you a fresh cup?" Lauren offers while gesturing toward her mug.

"Nah, I'm suddenly really hungry. Do you wanna go out with me?"

"Uh..." Lauren drags out as she has to correct her brain from interpreting the question differently than it's intended. "Sure. We can do that."

"Awesome, just let me change real quick and I'll be all set."

Camila offers to drive and Lauren raises an eyebrow when they end up at Grub Pub twenty minutes later.

"Deja vu, anyone?" Lauren accuses.

"I haven't been here since you took me. It felt wrong coming back without you considering you're on a first name basis with the staff and all," Camila defends.

"You're lucky I love this place enough to pretend I didn't eat here two nights ago."

"Of course you did," Camila replies with a chuckle as they seat themselves and wait for their order to be taken.

Lauren doesn't stray from her usual meal but Camila surprises her by throwing in onion rings as an appetizer.

"You're a brave soul to try something new here," Lauren compliments.

"Why?"

"I dunno. I've had the same order for so long I'm afraid to get something I might not like and ruin the magic of this place."

Camila nods in understanding as their beverages and a basket of onion rings is placed in front of them. She is the first to dig in and try one, although she quickly regrets it when she realizes it's still really hot and has to pull a large chunk of it back out of her mouth.

"Well that was super attractive," Lauren teases. "Good thing the papz finally took a break or this would be headline news for sure. I can just picture it. Ariana's Girlfriend: A Grande Disappointment or if they put a spin on it, Camila Cabello Spotted with Ring – Could She Be Preparing A Grande Proposal?"

Camila nearly chokes on the sip of cider she took beforehand and cringes.

"Please don't give them any ideas. Seriously. They finally moved on to other people once they realized we're rarely together and I'm barely interesting on my own."

Lauren shakes her head.

"That's not true at all. The last couple months spent getting to know you have been some of the most interesting in recent memory for me."

Camila feels a twist in her gut as a smile forms on her lips.

"Me, too," Camila agrees before they get interrupted by their main plates arriving.

A comfortable silence lingers for a while as they devour the tasty, greasy food in front of them, occasionally making eye contact and smiling in contentment as their taste buds are rewarded once again. The waiter giving Lauren a refill on her cider is what brings Camila's mind back to the table to continue the conversation.

"Do you ever wonder about the night we met?"

Camila can tell she has thrown Lauren off guard with the question, but she expected no less.

"How do you mean?" Lauren requests for her to elaborate as she grabs the last onion ring and prepares to take a bite.

"Like...what if we stayed for the concert? Would it have been a date? Do you think we'd still be seeing each other now if it was?"

Camila fears that she has crossed a line when Lauren doesn't immediately respond, or even make eye contact, but is relieved when the other woman does finally look up at her and shrugs to appear as casual as possible about the question although her emotions are internally in overdrive.

"Yeah, I guess I do," Lauren replies carefully, "I do wonder about stuff like that, I mean."

Lauren allows her fingertips to dance along her glass as she looks at Camila intently, gauging her reaction. She can tell there's something on the tip of Camila's tongue, but she's hesitating.

"I think it's normal," Lauren continues, hoping it will encourage her to say whatever she's holding back.

"About three months ago you and I sat here cursing our friends and plotting a way to make them regret introducing us. Yet if they were here right now I'd be kissing their feet, thanking them. And that's why I wanted to come back and start over. Not really from scratch, but different."

"I agree with the first part but I'm not sure I follow," Lauren admits with a lopsided expression.

"What if instead of staging an entire relationship that night we let coming to this place count as our real first date?" Camila asks boldly.

Lauren feels a combination of joy and panic at the suggestion. The joy comes from the feelings she has long come to terms with and the panic is because the proposition comes from someone already in a relationship. She absolutely refuses to be the other woman after Ally pulled that shit on her.

"Camila, you have a girlfriend. I know she isn't around and your schedules don't overlap much, but that's no excuse to go behind her back and..."

"Lauren," Camila cuts in, "I'm not going behind anyone's back. I'd never do that. We broke up this morning. That's who I was really talking to in my bedroom. I know it was stupid to lie and say it was Stella, but I was only beginning to process what I'd done in the moment and didn't want to talk about it right away."

"What if she continues to pursue you like last time?"

"She won't. I waited until she delivered an ultimatum because I knew if she did, that would make it her idea, and the chance of retaliation is slimmer," Camila confesses.

"You really don't want to be with her, huh? Most people would kill to be in your position, you know..."

"What position? You mean the one where I listen to Ariana drone on about herself several times a week in hopes that the once a year we have more than ten minutes for each other she'll jump me so we can have crazy hot sex? Or perhaps the one where I pathetically give up several weekends to fly out to her when she claims she'll be free but really only get to spend a few minutes with her discretely at my hotel before turning around and flying back feeling even less significant than when we were apart," Camila drips sarcastically.

"Well, when you describe it like that..."

"I was using her to get over you and despite how Ariana treated me not even she deserved that in the long run," Camila replies honestly. "Dinah kept nagging me to take a chance with you and the longer I stayed with Ariana the more I realized that it would be worth the risk."

Lauren's heart rate speeds up at the confession.

"Let me get this straight. You had one of the greatest pop stars of our generation pining after you and you still wanted to ask me out?" Lauren asks in awe.

"Let me put it this way. Ariana has a lot of money, but you can't buy a personality that shines as bright as yours," Camila insists.

AN: I needed something to fluff my pillow tonight. Now go fluff up my inbox with love/hate mail. ;)