The Moment

She felt a lump in her throat, her vision slowly getting blurred. The hardcover she held in her hand was open to the page where it was scribbled "Long drive, could end in burning flames or paradise, Fade into view, it's been a while since I have even heard from you...". She continued reading, everything else losing its meaning. She was concentrating on the book she held on to; giving the feeling of being someone who was scared it would fade if she loosened her grip. The story continued, the road was empty, the music player was switched on to a ballad station. They were singing along with the voice coming from the radio. The speed was decent and there was no sign of any other car in the highway. The moon shone bright, the glow spreading a romantic light all over. And suddenly there was a puddle in the middle of the road. It was too late to change direction and he tried pushing the brakes, but by then the car swerved and fell onto the ditch below. They both had the seat-belts on, and the car was upside down. His lungs felt heavy and blood was flowing out of his mouth, he himself was squeezed in between the seat and the steering wheels, blood all over. Beside him, on the other seat she was crying, trying to get out, cut marks all over her, but the doors would not budge, the fall made sure the door was jammed. He tried opening his mouth to let in some air, but more blood flowed. It looked like he wanted to tell her something, ask her if she was fine, but everytime he opened his mouth there was more blood flowing out. She didn't really think any help would come soon, they were almost in a deserted highway and she didn't think anybody had seen the fall. After what seemed like an eternity, they heard sirens. Then they heard sounds and people breaking the window. She must have fainted then. She had no idea how they took her out of the car. She had no idea how she reached the hospital. When she came to her senses, the first thing she asked was about him. Tears running down her face, she threw the diary to the farthest corner of the room, promising herself never to read her own diary ever again. Like always.