Chapter 6 - Wheel Inside the Wheel

I stood outside on the balcony of Hope's nursery, looking at the street below me but my thoughts were focused on Elijah. Ever since Klaus told me that he'd gone missing, all I can think about is how horrible I've been to him these past few months and he's not the only one missing, Oliver is too.

I let out a sigh as I became more worried that we hadn't found Elijah yet, where the hell could he be?

A shrill scream startled me, bringing me out of my thoughts. I walked inside, through the nursery and made my way into Klaus' room. I find him washing his hands in some water, the water turning red from the blood on his hands. Not his blood, the blood of the witch he was torturing.

"Oh, so I see your interrogation went well," I said, seeing blood on his shirt and his face.

"Eh, turns out these witches are delicate creatures," Klaus replied. "No matter, I suspected my mother had Elijah captive."

"Great. Let's go find them."

"Esther is too powerful," he said as he approached me. "She won't be easily found, I need to draw her out."

Klaus started to close the door that separates us.

"Wait, where are you going?" I asked.

"I'm going to change my shirt and then I'm going to find my brother," he told me as he started to close the doors again.

"Klaus, let me come with you," I said, taking a step towards him.

He sighed before walking closer to me. "I know you want to help, Nina but you can't. My mother is wretched, she will target you in order to thwart me and I can't very well save Elijah if I'm busy saving you, can I?"

"I can deal with your mother," I told him in annoyance. "I handled Mikael, didn't I?"

"Yes but you almost died," he expressed and once again, I saw his eyes go soft as he reached his hand forward to touch my cheek.

"So did you," I murmured as I lowered my head.

"Nina," Klaus said, making me look at him. "Elijah would never forgive me if I put you in harm's way."

I sighed, knowing he was right. 

We looked at each other for a moment before Klaus leaned forward and kissed my forehead. Then he went back into his bedroom and closed the doors.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Fine, if I can't help find Elijah, I'll just have to go rescue Oliver instead. I then left the compound in search of the people I hoped would help me.

~*~*~

I crossed the river to get to Marcel's loft, I heard him and Gia talking when I arrived.

"I did as you said, I kept a low profile, went all over the city. There's no sign of Elijah anywhere."

"Yeah, the humans I know said the same thing," Marcel replied. "Maybe Klaus is having better luck?"

"No, he's not," I told them as I walked into the room. "Which sucks, considering how low the bar is around here."

Marcel tilted his head at me, confused.

"Listen, are you two up for a rescue mission?" 

"Are we going after Elijah?" Gia asked.

"Nope, that's all Klaus," I answered. "He doesn't want me to help because he doesn't want Esther to use me like Mikael did, but screw it, I'm talking about Oliver. Now, he and Elijah were fighting the werewolves together. I've heard Oliver's been captured and he's about to be executed. Now, look, if we can save Oliver, we might be able to find out where Elijah is."