As I got closer I could see a group of men, mostly white, peppered with a few black faces in the stands conversing over drinks, with sheets of paper that looked like little programs in their hands.

I cleared my throat as I got closer.

"Shit check." Someone screamed out. All the men gathered in anticipation of my arrival with the pictures.

The men barely let me hand them out they grabbed them so fast. Except the last one who took his time making it down the stairs from the top. 

"So I was wrong. You do have a job. A shit checker. What a noble career." He smirked taking the folder.

I wanted to smack the hell out of him with it, but instead I just rolled my eyes and was about to leave.

"Shit Checker. I have a few questions I need your opinion on."

I stopped and debated whether I should answer them. I didn't want to but I didn't have time for him to report me to Jack.

I turned around.

"Robert come here a sec." He called to his friend who was a dark skinned black man, dressed in a GQ like suit.

"You have any questions here for our shit checker?" Jidenna looked through the file.

"The pictures are pretty straight forward." The other guy looked through them.

Jidenna was trying to pick a fight.

"Are they because these two piles look equally large? Hmm..." He pointed out two pictures.

The guy looked at them. "I guess they do."

Jidenna rubbed his chin. "Since you're the shit expert, which one looks largest to you?"

"I just take the pictures." I looked at him, biting my bottom lip to prevent me from spazzing on this slave owner looking nigga.

"Am I bothering you? Do you have more shit to clean or something?" He said turning his nose up at me.

I looked at him, holding my hand back to prevent me from using my fist.

"Jidenna let me look at those pictures." Ki's father came in.

"Ahh Dr. Campbell. I think you would approve of your daugther's dating choice. A shit-xpert. You know like expert." Jidenna looked at her father then smirked at me.

Her father looked at me. I looked down.

This is the type of humiliation they put you through in prison. I felt the way I did when they would make me bend over naked to do body cavity checks.

It demeans you as a man and you just have to sit there and take it. The way this nigga was ragging on me and i wasn't able to say shit back, broke me inside as a man.

My breathing became heavy and my skin bright red.

"Jidenna leave the young man alone. At least he has some work. We can't all start at the top." He turned his attention back to the pictures and motioned for them to follow him up top.

They did, but not without Jidenna given me a devilish grin and saying

"Back to shit shoveling nigger."

Then walked away. It wasn't the nigga, it was the er and the way he said it that added more sting.

I walked up the stairs but I thought about Ki's smile and how proud she tells me she is of me everyday.

I give her a lot, but it means a lot to man to have a woman that is so supportive like Ki. I remembered she was why I was doing this And I just walked back silently to the stables.

I was so fucking angry, hurt and humiliated. Like niggas just threw eggs on my face while laughing and all I could do was stand there.

But I sucked it up and went back to work.

Kierra POV -

"When are you going to invite me to one of your shows since I am one of the only people that believed in you." I said finished up dinner. Tonight was Tacos and Mojitos.

"I don't want niggas knowing I'm related to you. I got an image to maintain." Kris said laying on the couch.

"Fuck you Kris." I said making Aug's Mojito as perfect as I could.

He laughed. "Nah you and Aug should come to our New York show. I can get y'all tickets and get yall a flight and hotel."

"You got it like that?"

"I am the chief musical director for Mila J."

"Negro you just became a drummer." I rolled my eyes.

"Naw but umm, she let us bring family sometimes if we let her know in advance. We'll just all have to crash in a room together."

"That's okay. I think Aug would love that especially in New York. His favorite artist is from there and we can go and see the landmarks. Oh he's going to love it. Don't tell him I want to surprise him." I took a sip of the Mojito to make sure it was perfect.

It was. I clapped.

"You do know that there is not a sentence you say that doesn't include August. Shit is getting annoying."

"I don't say his name a lot." I finished cooking the steak for the tacos.

"Ki you do. Every damn word is Aug likes. Or Aug said. Or That's Augs. Is the dick that damn good?"

"It's not about his dick thank you very much. It's about his heart." I blushed.

Kris made a throwing up sound.

"Shut up." I laughed.

"There's far gone and then there's you." Kris said.

"I'm not gone or sprung. I just love him deeply."

"You a Jackie Christie in Training. You gon have Aug trained like Doug."

"Don't compare me to that crazy lady."

"That's how you acting. You gon have him having weddings every year like Jackie do Doug."

"No I am not." I laughed. The door opened Aug walked through.

"Baby." I ran to him and gave him a hug and tried to kiss him but he moved his head.

"What's wrong?" I said concerned.

"Not in the mood." He peeled me off and went in the bathroom.

"You gon go in there while he's taking a shit?" Kris asked me.

"For your information when he's mad he goes in the bathroom. I know his patterns. So I have to go to see what's wrong. Thank you very much."

"Aug you need me to help you pee? I'll hold your dick for you. wipe it down and kiss it afterward." Kris mocked me yelling to Aug.

I stuck my middle finger up at him and went to the bathroom door. I opened it he actually was peeing.  I came in.

"Don't you see I'm using it? Wait till I finish. Damn." He finished up, flushed the toilet then proceeded to take off his clothes to take a shower.

"Can you get out Ki? I don't feel like being bothered." He turned on the shower.

"That's what I am a pest to you?"

"Yeah you acting like it." He said aggravated.

I picked his shirt up off the ground and threw it at him then slammed the door.

"What the hell Ki?" Kris looked at me like I was crazy.

I went back to the kitchen to finish the food. Well mine. Because I wasn't catering to his rude self today like I usually do since he's wants to be an ass. And I was drinking the perfect Mojito too! Nan!

"If the man don't feel like being bothered let him be."

"Stay out of our relationship." I snapped.

"You ain't gon have one you keep nagging and bitching. Chill that shit. You don't know what he had to deal with today."

"Nobody asked your opinion."

"You know what. Let me get my food and go to my room before I do something I regret." Kris for up.

"You wait till I'm finished. I got my food first." Then brushed pass him and went in my room.

I cut on my tv to Braxton family values and ate while watching it.

Aug came in the room to get him a clean pair of boxers that were in his drawer I gave him.

He put them on, then left out. I waited to see if he was going to come back and he didn't. I went to throw my excess food away and he had a blanket and pillows laid on the couch eating his food and drawing.

"Can you at least tell me what's wrong?"

"I don't feel like talking about it. I told you." He said concentrated on his drawing of what looked like a black horse.

"You remember that." I slammed my plate in the sink.

"What the fuck you getting emotional for? I don't feel like being fucking bothered by nobody. Damn. Can I have my space or would you prefer me on the other side of the door?"

"Leave the nigga alone Ki. Damn. Niggas ain't into all that "girl you tell me your problems, I tell you my problems." That's women's problem. When women say they don't want to talk, that mean I want to talk but I want you to suck up to me to get it out. Niggas ain't like that. Our leave us alone, is leave us alone. Ain't no ulterior motive." Kris threw his excess food away.

"Sorry that I care what he's going through. Sorry. Now I know not to give a fuck." I just left and went in my room.

I try the best I can to be a support system to him, but whatever. I'm done trying since I was such a "pest."

I just cut off my light and watched tv.