Prologue

Prologue

Dr. Isaac Crawford pried his eyes open at the sound of voices outside his door, and the immediate sense of relief that settled over him coaxed a sardonic smile from his lips. At last, it would all be over. Though Crawford was pleased the NSO had accepted his request for an audience, the irony of anticipating the company of his enemies was not lost to him. Bedridden with Stage Four cancer for the past six months and confined to the medical wing, Crawford had nothing but time at his expense to ponder the circumstances which led his life to ruin.

Needless to say, his thoughts had festered to the point of madness.

Six years ago, Crawford was sentenced to life without parole by the U.S. government for his participation with Mercile Industries, a pharmaceutical company renowned for its commercial drug production. The government had funded their research for years, pleased Mercile had presented the FDA with new and effective medication they could release to the market, but unaware Mercile hadn't been entirely forthcoming with how it was obtained.

Why would they?

Mercile held its respected position in the medical field; their products were top of the line and sought after across the globe. Oh, there were rumors, of course. Rival companies would voice their suspicions about Mercile's success. There were demands for inquiry, though nothing substantial was presented to merit the cessation of their production.

But secrets can never remain in the dark for long.

For years, no one suspected Mercile Industries had extended their testing beyond laboratory animals. According to their reports, the specimens were only hybrids. They'd created an organism spliced with animal and human DNA, genetically engineered to fulfill its purpose as a test subject and nothing more. If their appearance was "almost human," it was by their own design. To Mercile, their exotic new breed was just merchandise. Property. A means to the greater good, and of no higher consequence than a chimpanzee or a rat.

The government did not agree.

With enough incriminating evidence, Mercile was shut down and their victims liberated from their cages, relocated to secluded facilities for medical care while the revelation of their existence spread like a pandemic. The survivors of Mercile Industries, or "New Species" as they called themselves now, were granted protection by the U.S. government and a year after their freedom, they'd obtained a safe haven for their people and made it their personal goal to hunt down ex-Mercile fugitives who'd eluded capture to pay for their crimes.

The New Species Organization was established, and with it the creation of Fuller Prison, a facility in California owned by the NSO, where those who pose a threat to New Species or were directly involved with Mercile's illegal experiments, occupy its holding cells. Behind those walls, the government holds no jurisdiction over its prisoners, their lives now at the mercy of the people they'd tortured endlessly for years.

No, not people, Crawford thought. He studied the bulging veins and pallor of his frail hand. They were not engineered with the imperfections of man.

He heard a sharp knock on the door before it swung open.

Nurse Fitzgerald entered, followed by Tim Oberto, chief of the NSO task force, and Trey Roberts, his second in command. The officers stalked into the room and frowned at Crawford, before they stationed themselves against the wall across from his bed.

While the nurse changed Crawford's IV fluid, a third man entered his room. He wore a navy business suit with a soft blue tie, his long hair tied back in a low ponytail. Holding a cell phone to his ear, his attention was riveted to a manila folder in his hand. Crawford couldn't believe his eyes. The moment Nurse Fitzgerald excused herself, the unexpected visitor abruptly ended his call and stared at the doctor. They regarded one another in heavy silence, before Crawford recovered from his shock and found his voice at last.