Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)

En başından başla

          “We have a long night ahead of us.” Carter said just loud enough for Danny to hear.  Danny’s gaze snapped away from Charlie’s dad. He looked at me with what looked like pleading eyes but ignored them and turned towards Carter.

          I giggled a little bit, while Carter planted another kiss on my cheek. Then, I thought back to all the times Danny had ever kissed me. They were soft and sweet. I lifted a hand to my lips, knowing I would never feel his lips against mine again.

          I had to get out of here before I started crying, I took one more glance at Danny and then turned to Carter. “Let’s go.”

          I could feel Danny’s eyes watching us, as Carter grabbed my purse and all the rest of my belongings. I tried to steal a glance without him noticing but that wasn’t possible. His gaze seared into my eyes as I lifted them towards him. He almost looked mad.

          I quickly looked away, and walked over to Carter. I vowed myself that I wouldn’t look back at him again. No matter the circumstance.

          As Carter and I walked off, I heard him chuckling. “You should have seen your face when I kissed you.”

          I blushed, and looked over to him. “That wasn’t a part of the plan, Carter!” He never said we would have to kiss, that’s probably why I looked so dumbfounded.

          “What plan?” He asked.

          I flashed him a sarcastic look, “The plan!” I raised my voice a tad bit before I looked away.

          “Ah, ha. Correction my dear. The plan was to make Danny jealous.” He wrapped his arm around me as we made our way to the car. “…And I’m pretty sure, we did a fucking fantastic job.”

          We did? I blushed a little bit, thinking about the kiss Carter and I shared. I wasn’t sure if Carter was really trying to make Danny jealous, or if he just wanted to kiss me. Before I could say anything else, Carter walked around to my side of the door and opened it for me. I fell down in the seat helplessly. Why did I just do that? I was so immature.

          As soon as Carter walked around to the other side of the car, he jumped in and groaned, “I don’t know about you, but I’m starving.”

          The moment he had gotten the words out of his mouth, my stomach growled. I tried remembering what I had eaten today, and then I realized I had thrown up all I had eaten after Danny broke things off with me.

          “Yeah, I am kind of hungry.” I said quietly.

          Carter looked over at me and grinned, “Where to?”

          I thought for a moment, even though I was hungry, I wasn’t in the mood for anything specific. I was starving, but I really didn’t want to eat. Chills ran up my spine at the thought of food. “Maybe, I’m not that hungry.”