Chapter One

Windy and spitting rain: Reese's least favorite kind of weather. He'd prefer the sun, in all its steaming glory, burning a hole into the top of his still heavy-haired head than this nonsense.

The library was too far from his house for practicality and Steph insisted he not drive his rust-bucket of a Roadrunner, lest another panic attack hit him. "Wasn't even a big one," Reese grumbled to himself as his plain black rain boots scuffed against the chipped gravel. Steph had asked Reese to pop by and pick up a Steven King book she'd had on hold for a while. Ever since the twins were born (dear little things, but they could drive Reese up the wall if Stephanie left the three of them alone) she couldn't find the time to go out and pick up something to read, and Reese's baby girl loved to read.

He placed a hand on his stomach, willing the sudden cramp away. It was slow going, no more sprinting up the stairs in his two floor house to fetch a CD or five, no more walking to Herman the Fry Guy for a quick snack. It was just too much for him. And he hadn't exercised in ages, although it was more Theresa who was interested in staying fit. Reese could remember sitting on his blue armchair, watching Theresa's short, warm fingers wrap around her small but sturdy weights and lift, ever so slowly, until she'd look to Reese and smile so wide her gums would show. Then she would let the weights down with a huff.

Reese concentrated on the stairs before him, keeping his balance with the railing and focusing on his feet, lifting and setting them down slowly. He kept his grip on his cane tight, although it was useless for stairs. Only quitters use canes, Reese remembered his father telling him the day Mom deliberately went out and bought him one. Less than an hour later he'd caved and began using the cane to humour Reese's mom, but the lesson stuck. He hated that he had to use this thing. In the midst of his thoughts the cramp crunched his gut and Reese stumbled, only briefly. A petite, tan girl grabbed hold of his flailing arm and tried to help steady him.

"I'm fine," He yipped. The girl apologized meekly and let go of him, leaving to enter the library briskly.

The library was too air-conditioned and smelled like fruit. Although Reese respected the quiet, all he wanted was to get in and get out. As quickly as he could, though admittedly it wasn't very quick at all, Reese entered the horror section. It was mostly empty, save a couple arguing a stack behind.

"But I asked you too!"

"And I told you I would," A breathy voice responded to its shrill girlfriend.

"On Thursday you did," A huff, "And guess what day it is today, Todd?"

"Maria," The voice mocked, "I'll talk to her when I get a chance."

"What day is it?" The girl got louder.

Reese exhaled, the library was supposed to be silent, and what were these two idiots doing here anyways? Trying to piss off everyone in a ten mile radius? He scanned the shelf, looking for books under the letter S. Or would it be K? He didn't know how these things worked.

"Are you for real?" The stupid girl snapped. Reese heard the scuffing of shoes against carpet and books falling to the floor.

"Come on," The idiot boy whined.

"Screw you," One last shove and the girl stormed past Reese's shelf. She glanced momentarily at him on her way out; it was the tan girl from before. Reese didn't offer any expression in return for the brief eye contact.

"Ah, to be young and in love," A voice giggled beside him. Not more talking, Reese sighed to himself. He didn't turn to the speaker and instead chose to ignore and quietly go back to his search. Apparently the hint wasn't obvious enough and they kept speaking.