Imagine 55: Bucky

A/N: also requested by BeautifulBlues aka my bae. this is also set in the forties

btw!! if you guys would like to see more of a certain character let me know! 

"Bucky, slow down!" I giggled, my tired voice echoing down the empty streets.

"C'mon doll, once last place." Bucky urged me, pulling me to his chest.

I rolled my eyes, cuddling up in his arms. He had been dragging me around town since ten in the morning. I didn't blame him; he would be shipping off for the war in a few days.

"Bucky, it's getting late." I argued, my eyes fluttering closed. 

"Please?" Bucky whined. I bit my lip, trying not to smile and give in; but I couldn't say no to those adorable puppy eyes. I groaned, throwing my head back with exasperation. 

"Alright, sweetheart, but this is the last place, James." I informed him sternly, holding up my finger. 

Bucky smiled widely, sweeping me off my feet and spinning me, all the while cheering. I laughed loudly, unbeknownst to me, that it was music to my boyfriends ears. 

"This place better be worth it, mister." I scolded sarcastically, swinging our interlocked hands back and forth. 

"It will be, doll." Bucky chuckled, pecking my temple and he turned down a street. I smiled, easily spotting our next destination. 

"C'mon, soldier." I teased, pulling him down the street. Bucky blushed and laughed, trailing behind me. 

I paused in front of the run-down, abandoned elementary school. "This was your old school, huh?" I spoke up, pulling Bucky toward my side. 

He wrapped an arm around my waist, allowing my head to rest on his shoulder. "Sure is. This is where Steve and I first met. We were five."

I nodded my head, thinking of five year old Bucky. I smiled to myself, looking up to Bucky. 

"You alright?" I whispered. 

Bucky eyes were set straight ahead, tears brimming the inner corners. I moved so I was in front of him, cupping his cheeks with both of my hands. Bucky took a shaky breath in, closing his eyes. A few tears dribbled down, and I took it upon myself to wipe them away. 

"I love you, you know." Bucky choked out, more tears flowing from his blue eyes. "I remember... I remember when I first met you, I told Steve I was already in love."

I blushed, unable to fight the smile that found it's way on my face. Tears of my own, though happy, began to stream down my cheeks. 

"You know what he told me?" Bucky chuckled, looking down at me with a shy grin. "He said, don't screw her over ya punk, 'cause she's a good gal, and that I better treat you well. And just the other day, after you left, Steve told me he's never seen you happier. I hope I'm makin' you happy, doll, 'cause I love you so much." 

I let out an involuntary sob mixed with a laugh, stuffing my head in Bucky's chest. "God, Bucky, you make me the happiest girl in the World. I love you too, with all my heart."

Bucky pulled me against his body, hugging my tightly. "I promise I'll come back after we win this war, I promise. I'm gonna come back after this is all done, and we're gonna be together, doll."

I nodded my head sadly, well-aware there was always the possibility that he wouldn't return. But, now, all I could think of is that Bucky had just declared his love for me, as had I. We stayed in each others arms, composing ourselves before pulling away to kiss. 

"I love you." We whispered together, smiling widely at each other.  

"Let's go home." Bucky whispered, returning the way we came. The street's were empty and quiet, the only noise beings crickets and our quiet banter. 

"So..." Bucky spoke, drawing out the syllable. "Was it worth it?"

I laughed, a grin plastered on my face, so big, it hurt my cheeks. But I couldn't help it. I was so in love. 

"Yes, you fool, it was worth it."