25 - undercover

"Goodmorning Brock," I greeted and welcomed him inside of my home. Today I was flying to Rhode Island to pick out a car for Aaron's 16th birthday and I had a private appointment with the dealership later this evening. "Thank you for dealing with Aiden last night, really."

He flashed a smile anytime. "Anytime."

"There's breakfast in the kitchen if you'd like. My husband is..." I waved my hand dismissively. "Asleep."

The tone in his voice confused me as if he was hesitant now. "Michael?"

"Unfortunately." I pulled him inside by his sleeve and closed the door behind him and returned upstairs and left him in the kitchen. "My suitcase is in the living room... I'll be ready in five minutes." I needed to put my shoes on and... put foundation on my remaining hickies from last night.

I searched in my bathroom cabinet for one of my makeup sponges as Michael sat our baby on the sink, cleaning his tiny new teeth lightly while humming to him, the two purple marks on his neck and collarbone contrasted visibly on his pale skin. He looked at me from the mirror and pinched my cheek.

"Stop," I groaned, pushing his hand away and proceeded to dab the foundation lightly on my cleavage and neck.

His face lit up with his boyish cheese. "Why do you look so cute today?"

I grinned from ear to ear. "I'm going to visit my mother and buy Aaron's new car. I'm surprising him," I informed matter-of-factly.

 "What time are you leaving? If I had known I would've gone with you."

Well... the reason why I didn't tell him was for him not to go with me. "Brock is here so 5 minutes, and besides you have your tour rehears--"

"Brock?!" Michael exclaimed, making even Aiden twitch his head up at his daddy like he lost his mind.

I paused. "... Yes, Michael. Brock. My bodyguard. Who I go everywhere with." What was with this weird behavior between these two... am I missing something? "He's downstairs eating breakfast."

He straightened his mouth and picked Aiden up. "Well I'll go and say hello then."

"You do that..." I turned back to the mirror and cursed as some of the makeup got onto my blazer. "Fucking weirdo."

-------

Brock bit into the piece of turkey bacon at the kitchen counter, his large build making the chair look so miniature as he watched the morning news. He saw Michael's house slippers coming down first as he inhaled, preparing himself for the awkward moment to come... or the anger. Michael's eyes never looked away from him as they held eye contact, the Aiden babbling baby words as he held him on his side. It was a tension.

Michael placed Aiden in his high chair conveniently next to where Brock was sitting, adjusted his glasses and poured himself a cup of coffee, the steam rising as it filled to the top. He remembered Giovanna's episode with the assistant who's name now escapes him and chuckled, pouring cream in the mug. I guess he could relate.

Brock noticed his stiff demeanor as he reached in the fridge for a bottle of milk and a small container. "Do you want titties or applesauce for breakfast?" he asked to Aiden, staring at him with curious eyes while Michael waved the two in his face. "Or both? ... Both? Alright," he said, shaking the bottle and putting it in the microwave.

Brock tried not to scoff. Even the little things Michael did secretly annoyed him. Like referring breastmilk to his child as titties. The man really is as childish as he appears.

Once the microwave went off, Michael retrieved the now warmed milk and finally turned to Brock. "Would you like to feed him?"

That took him by surprise. "Um... why would I?"