Runaway

We chatted for a while with occasional moments of silence, but the silence felt just as sweet as the talk, as it was more of an appreciative silence than an awkward one. Suddenly, sirens rang in the distance, and as if reminded of something mortifying, Stevie jumped up and flung her purse around her shoulder.

"I've got to go now, where do you live?" She asked

"Oh okay... Just along the tracks." I said pointing in the direction of my house.

"Then shall I walk you home?" She offered

"I think I would like that a  lot." I replied.

We walked alongside each other down the tracks. And after a minute or so, Stevie seemed to snap back into reality and her face dropped into fear. I didn't mention it until a tear rolled down her cheek.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked

"You know what, not really. I did something I shouldn't have done.." She said 

"I'm sure that nothing is too messed up you can't fix." I said

"We'll see." She replied

We stopped outside my driveway and she hugged me tightly. I smiled behind her shoulder.

"I really liked meeting you Ally Hills." She said, and handed me her phone number on a piece of paper.

"I liked it too." I replied.

She walked off down the street and I watched as her close figure became a distant silhouette and I doubted the beauty that I'd  just witnessed.

I walked back into the house and my parents were sat eating lunch at the table with my sister. 

"You're back, sorry about our fighting earlier." My mom said. And I just smiled and nodded, acting as if I wasn't expecting worse in the near future.

I kicked off my shoes and picked up a slip that had been dropped through out letter box and began to read. 'MISSING GIRL, PLEASE REPORT IMMEDIATELY IF FOUND'  I read through the details until seeing a large picture at the bottom of a face. And it was Stevie.