Chapter 4

Louis' P.O.V.

Ice glazed the window softly. Flames crackled in the fireplace. Samantha's warm body gently pressed against mine. Everything I had just thought about.. Was gone.

"Louis?" Samantha's gentle voice echoed through my head.

"Yes, love?" I looked into her hazel eyes, catching a small sparkle before she looked down at my lips.

"Promise me you'll never let me go." She whispered.

"I promise." Her lips touched mine.

"Louis." A deeper, more manly voice appeared. "Come on, man. Wake up."

John's face came into view as I slowly opened my eyes, and a sigh left my lips. His brown hair flipped to the side, and the ends of it curled a bit. His charcoal glasses sat on the bridge of his nose, and the corners of his mouth barely formed into a smile.

"What do you want, John?" I mumbled, closing my eyes again.

"Hannah needs you." John replied, leaving a 'huff' at the end of the sentence. "It's important."

"When is it not?" I opened my eyes again, looking toward the digital clock on my nightstand. The blurry red numbers came into view. "John, it's two o'clock in the morning!"

"Just get up."

I groggily sat up and ran my fingers through my hair. John stepped back, allowing me to have some space.

"What are you doing up anyway?" I asked confusedly.

"Taking notes for my next assignment." Was all he said.

"Right.." I replied.

**

My knuckles slammed against the door to Hannah's office. Light shone underneath the door, and shuffling came from the other side.

"Come in." Hannah called out. My hand grasped the door knob, and I pushed it gradually.

Hannah's platinum blonde hair layed in a messy pony tail. Strands of hair sat on her forehead, and she pushed it away with the back of her hand. Light bags layed under her eyes.

"Is there a reason you asked for me at two o' clock in the morning?" I asked, leaning on the end of her desk.

"There's always a reason, Tomlinson." Hannah rolled her grey orbs. "I have another assignment for you."

"I thought you said I could have the weekend off?" I said confusedly.

"I know what I said. But, I figured you might want this assignment." She slid the tan folder across the desk, and my fingers grazed the edging. "But remember, if you don't think you can handle it, I'll give it to the next best spy."

I nodded before picking the folder up. My fingers grasped the edges, and I carefully opened the folder.

Deep brown curls fell down her shoulders. Her pale color grazed her skin. A small sparkle touched the pupil of her orbs, and a gentle, beautiful smile layed on her face.

My heart sank. I could feel my hands shaking. Millions of thoughts flew through my mind, but I couldn't comprehend even one of them.

"Samantha.." I whispered, still staring at the photo. I was mesmerized by her beauty, but yet, I wish I hadn't seen the picture.

"She was taken last night." Hannah said softly. "Ever heard of Lightingale?" My eyes met hers, and I shook my head confusedly. "Lightingale used to be one of us. He was the best spy in this Headquarters. Maybe even in all of England. Lightingale was with us for about twelve years. One day he was gone. I dont know what happened, but he turned.. Evil. I've gotten six of our best men to kill him. Not one lived. And now he's taken Samantha."

"Why? How does he know her?" I looked at the picture in my hands again. My eye brows scrunched together, and my thumb gently brushed over Samantha's cheek.

"He wants you, Louis. He knows that you have the power-the energy- to be as strong-maybe even stronger- than him. He wants you to be one of his men, so that we can't rescue anyone anymore." My eyes moved ahead of Hannah, almost as if I was staring at the wall. But I wasn't. I was staring past it.

"I'll leave first thing in the morning." My grip tightened on the folder, and just as I was about to turn around, Hannah stopped me.

"Actually, that's not possible. You'll have to rescuedule for tomorrow night."

"Why?"

"It's Joy's funeral. Or memorial, considering there's nothing left of her." She saw the look on my face and shook her head lightly. "I'm sorry, Louis. She was your partner, you are required to say something about Joy."

"Fine." I turned around, and my hand grasped the door knob.

"Louis.." My eyes darted toward her direction. "Remember. Samantha's your past. Not your future."