Chapter 1

Leidi

The Muspels. The Svartals. The Niflir. They all betrayed me. Used me for their purposes. Then left me. I've been a slave all my life. I've been cheated. I've been lied to. And I was the fool who went along with them.

I am the daughter of Hrimnir and Jarnsaxa. But the jotnar cast me out. For I was far too small to be one of them. I wasn't left in the snow of Jotunheim to freeze.

I was thrown into the fiery pits of Muspelheim, to burn. To die. In the midst of every jotnar's weakness. I am a jotunn at birth. Yet I have the appearance of a human. They raised me, but only to entertain them. They taught me things a child shouldn't be taught and used me for their own dirty reasons. I ran away from the Muspels when I was 20 years of age.

I seeked refuge with the Svartals. But the dark elves had different plans than helping me. I was used for their purposes. They stored the Aether inside of my body. If I used it by accident even, I would be tortured. The Svartals used me. Tortured me. They had better guards than the Muspels, and I didn't escape until 137 years later.

I tried to go to the Niflir, but they wanted to make me one of them. The dead.

I'm pathetic and worthless. Still. There are six other realms.

I do not wish to be among mortals so Midgard is out.

The jotnar are the reason for my state.

Alfheim is the land of the light elves. I hate elves in general.

The Vanir are kindhearted and willing to accept everyone. But I do not want their pity. I'm far to broken to run into the arms of mere comfort.

Nidavellir are the dark dwellings. I've seen too many evils to even consider going there.

That leaves Asgard. No. They'd never take me in. The jotnar are their enemies. They'd use me for revenge. Yet, it has plenty of shelter. And food.

I slip through the boundaries between realms. It's a trick I learned from the Svartals. I freeze. I end up in a golden dome, and there in the middle, is a man with a sword. He stands unmoving.

"Welcome to Asgard," he smiles, "Although the All-Father will not be as welcoming." I back toward the wall of the dome, eager to go back to my pocket between realms. "Fear not child. You are lost. You mean no harm. The All-Father is on his way."

I step back further when a fanfare sounds. A tall man walks in. He has an eyepatch. Guards flank him. He has a beard that kind of reminds me of a Midgardian legend. One who delivers gifts to the children in the winter. But he has both his eyes. I back away further.

This is Odin. The king. The All-Father. Out of respect, I bow and acknowledge him. "My apologies, my king," I said, eyes trained on the ground, "I did not intend to come here. It was a mistake. If I may, I'll be on my way." I turn to leave.

"Wait," a woman's voice calls. I turn to see a blonde woman approaching. She is very pretty. Her features are flawless. I recognize her as the queen. "My queen," I say, bowing once more. "None of that, dear," she says, suddenly in front of me. She lifts me from my position. My battered cloak is pushed off of my head, revealing my face. My too small nose and too full lips are revealed. My wide green eyes seemingly glow. My thin eyebrows hide behind my dead black hair. It hangs over my face. The queen pushes my hair out of my face and I flinch. "You can stay as long as you like," she says. As a mother would treat her child.

"I have to go home," I lie. "You do?" She asks, looking slightly disappointed. "She is lying my queen. I've seen her. She lives in a pocket between realms. She's been used and tortured. She is afraid," the sword man says. This must be Heimdall the gatekeeper then. If he knows this, then he's Heimdall or a stalker.

I back away, reaching for the walls of the dome. I need to get out. "She can bend my powers. She's trying to escape," Heimdall says. "Nonsense. She is staying here," she looks between me and Odin.

"Guards! Take her to her room! A maid will be there to help you freshen up," she calls. Two beefy looking guards take me by the arms and drag me off. I don't believe I have a choice in the matter.