Reunited, again. Part 30

Zach woke to the door crashing open and a female form launching herself at him.

Keera.

She clutched him and buried her face in his neck. He wrapped his arms around her, stroked her hair.

"You're okay, then," he said, keeping it light, grinning like a kid on Christmas morning

"Mmm," she murmured and buried her face deeper. Then lifted up and planted a bunch of kisses on his face.

"The desert air really agrees with you," he said, savoring this rare example of open affection. "We should camp out often."

She laughed and stood up, pulling him upright. "Let's eat and talk."

Brooks was outside the door, watchful eyes on Zach. "The cafeteria is this way," he said.

Zach inspected Keera as they followed Brooks. Her face glowed red with sunburn but no blisters. Her hospital robe covered most of the rest of her but judging by her vigor she had recovered much of her normal vitality. That's what happens when your chakras are balanced, he supposed.

Brooks showed them to a table and joined Hancock waiting at the next one. Keera glared at them and they rose heavily and moved two more tables away.

"They're supposed to be watching out for me," she said. "Not listening to my private conversations."

Zach collected coffee for him, herbal tea for her and a plate of toast for both of them. "You look radiant, in both senses of the word," he said when he returned. "How are you feeling?"

"Better than I expected. My legs are cherry red and sting like crazy when the cream wears off, but otherwise fine." She sipped the tea, made a face.

"I thought I'd go crazy, worrying," he said. "Thank God Flint showed up with his glass trick and told me you were okay."

"He did that? He's getting more human." She reached out and touched his face. "I'm so sorry to have put you through all this."

"You didn't. The Russians did."

She looked away, as if embarrassed to take the conversation further. "The Russians, there's only one left. The police said they picked up Yuri. He went shopping for clothes instead of staying on the run."

"Only Yuri?"

"A Russian-sounding guy phoned the sheriff's office. Told them where to find him. I haven't heard the tape but I feel it was Vronsky."

"He shafted him? Hard to believe." This was a major change of events. In their favor.

"You weren't with them as long as I was. Yuri and Semyon hated each other, that was obvious, but Vronsky didn't care for either of them. He needed them both, but when Yuri shot Semyon he also destroyed the group's effectiveness."

For someone who had witnessed two murders at close range she appeared amazingly unaffected by this. Lots of smiling and bouncing health on display. Still, he had to ask. "You really okay? I mean you were there, people dying in front of you. How did you cope?"

Her wary face returned. "I coped. It's easier when you know life is not permanently extinguished. In Semyon's case I was simply glad he'd gone elsewhere. His exit was brutal but swift." She shrugged as if the idea wasn't worth taking any further and picked up her tea.

He was sure this was facade but he knew how explosive she could get if he probed further after she signaled a stop. He abandoned the topic. Asked about Vronsky. "You think we're out of danger yet?"

She shook her head. "As long as Vronsky's free, there's no closure. He's coming back to complete the deal."

"He told you?"