Chapter Three: Just Another Mission

Start from the beginning

"Richard Grayson?" He asked, looking at the shaking boy. Dick nodded, opening the door and letting the man in, praying that he wouldn't be brutally murdered like his parents. "I'd like to take you into the Court of Owls. Help you with all of that pain inside of you right now, help you get retribution on the killer of your parents," Bruce stated, placing his belt on the single bed of the hotel room and sitting down, leaning back on his hands.

Dick looked at him with something like fury on his features, no longer caring that he was going to be killed by this person. "What you know about loss?" He asked, the images of his parent's dead bodies filling his head. Bruce looked at the young boy with a raised eyebrow.

"My parents were Martha and Thomas Wayne. They practically ruled over Gotham City with their wealth. When we were coming home from an opera, a mugger ordered my mother to give him her pearls. My father rushed forward to protect my mother when the mugger shot him and my mother. I watched as his happened, held my parent's cold bodies and sobbed for days when they were buried. And through all of that, my family friend, Alfred, stuck to my side and helped me through those times. The last straw was one of my supposed 'friends' telling me that I just stood there and watched my parents die like a coward, that it should have been me. I ran away and ran into the Court of Owls. They trained me to be who I am today," Bruce said, looking Dick in the eye as he said the last part of what he was going to say. "Nothing made me more happier than slitting the throat of my parent's killer. Wouldn't you like to do the same?"

Dick looked at him for a second. "You can help me not feel like... this... worthless, useless son who let his parents die?" Dick asked hopefully, wiping away the tears that had fallen from his eyes. Bruce looked at the small innocent boy. Something inside of him had changed that day, something had made him gain his humanity, and that something was the innocence of the young boy he had already taken a liking to and called his son later on.

"Yes, all you have to do is listen to me and to my right hand woman," Bruce stated, glancing at the door nervously. He had seconds before he got here. "Who's your right hand woman?" He asked, the innocence he had lost when he lost his parent returning and shining in his eyes. Bruce looked at the boy and blinked once. He sighed and then spoke. "Batwoman."

The window broke with bullets as the door slammed open, revealing Ra's Al Ghul. Bruce grabbed his belt as Ra's spoke. "I believe the boy is mine, Batman." Bruce snarled, drawing his sword and stepping in front of Richard. Ra's drew his own sword and lunged at Bruce. Dick ran into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him and whimpering at the sound of things breaking as the two master assassins fought in the bedroom of the hotel room.

"Honey?" A sweet voice asked, making Dick look up at the window. There, sat a 23 year old Kate Kane in her Batwoman costume, the katanas on her back hidden by the long black cape she wore. "Come with me, okay?" She asked. Dick crawled over to her and let her pick him up. "Hold onto me tightly, okay sweetie?" she asked, smiling at him. He nodded, and burrowed himself into her side as she shot her grappling hook and swung to the nearest roof top.

They landed silently and Dick let go of the red haired woman, who smiled down at him. "Hi," she said in a sweet voice. "I'm Batwoman, what's your name?" Dick looked at her, then he smiled. "I'm Dick Grayson!" He replied with a childish smile. Kate smiled at the boy again. She and this boy were going to be great friends.

A year after this incident, Bruce had brought Dick into his study and gave him his first assignment. Dick sighed to himself as he lept through the rooftops, his hands slightly shaking. He stopped and tried to gather his nerves. He could do this. It was just one man, right? I mean, he was the son of the Batman! He could do this... all he had to do was pull the trigger once and it was all over.