Does the Light Beckon?

The loud boom of lightning resounded through the police station. The air felt heavy and saturated with something that made them feel suffocated. Almost all at once, calls were rapidly coming into the station, while those inside were already panicked and scrambling around to get themselves organized.

"Are you okay?" Eddie asked Iris, who looked shaken.

"I'm good," she coughed slightly, looking around in fear. "But what's going on?"

"I don't know. Something happened," Eddie frowned.

"I'm going to check on Barry," Iris suddenly said, her voice turning frantic. "Dad went out. We should stick together and wait for him."

"He'll be fine," Eddie tried to reassure her. "I'll come with you."

Together, they hurried up the stairs, and rushed to the lab. Iris couldn't help letting out a scream as she saw the state of the place. But her face turned deathly pale when her scanning eyes found Barry lying limp on top of some broken metal shelves. She stumbled towards her.

"Barry? Barry!"

Eddie felt his breath catch and he felt the shock first before he acknowledged it. He took a dazed step towards them, before shaking his head and running out of the lab and down the stairs.

"Medic! I need a medic!" he yelled. His arm was caught by a frazzled Singh.

"Thawne, what the hell is up with you?"

"She's not breathing," he rushed out to say. "I mean, I don't know if she is –I didn't check! But she's so still and silent and she won't wake up –"

"Thawne, are you talking about Allen?" Singh squeezed his arm painfully, and Eddie focused on the pain to center himself. At his nod, Singh cursed. "I need a few EMTs with me! We're picking up Allen and heading to the hospital!"

That caused a round of concerted whispers and shouts, but Singh glared around the room and roared "Get back to work!"

Singh, with Eddie, led the way up the stairs, to where Iris was still hovering and crying over Barry. Eddie gently took her and moved her aside, allowing the EMTs to put Barry on a gurney. They were rushing back out, when Singh held him behind.

"I need to stay here and keep things in order," Singh looked at him firmly. "You go with Iris and stick with Allen."

Eddie nodded frantically, glad that he would be able to come along and keep watch over her. Taking the distraught Iris in hand, he went to catch up with the EMTs, who were piling into an ambulance. The two of them had to ride in front, while Barry lay in the back and had the medics working on trying to keep her stable. But Eddie couldn't help turning in his seat and watching the back, while Iris sobbed into her hands.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion for him, and he felt the air sort of...weigh on him. Something was in the air and it made it hard to breathe. But he also knew that he was having trouble breathing and focusing because of Barry's situation too. He could remember her lying so still, and it almost looked as if she was dea –

He shivered and put the palms of his hands against his eyes, pressing harshly. This was not the time to be losing himself. He needed to be calm and make sure Barry got taken care of, and find out what's wrong and if she was okay.

Lucky enough for him, his time to think was cut short as they reached the hospital quickly. From there, Barry was rushed in. He and Iris tried to go in after her into the emergency room, but they weren't allowed in.

"I'm family!" Iris screamed hysterically, but she was still shut out.

Numbly, he grabbed hold of her and pulled back. To his surprise, she turned and threw herself at him, crying as she and he watched Barry in the room, surrounded by people trying to stabilize her.