Chapter 2

The robotic like noise of my alarm clock brings me to a rude awakening, but I relax as I remember what day it is. Only the best day of the year, Christmas! I stretch my legs as far as I can to the end of the bed, then roll to my side and sit up. Gingerly stepping out of bed, my toes cool against the cool glossy floor, I go to the end of my bed to pull of the sheets and fluff the pillows. 

       Looking down from my room in the loft of our apartment, I see that I am the first one awake. The faux Christmas tree sits with twinkling lights and still wrapped presents, a pretty shade of lively green against the grey and black skyscrapers covered with clumpy snow and ice with older, red brick buildings squished between, outside our 180 degree view of Triangle Below Canal Street, or as most people call it: TriBeCa. 

       I cringe as I hear what sounds like a pig, but is actually my fifteen year old brother, Austin, snoring. I'm surprised that I am the first one up. My family always teases me for liking to sleep in, but today it is my turn. Not wanting to encounter three, zombie like humans, I make up my mind to check my email. 

        Logging onto 'disneypro123@gmail.com' on my Mac laptop, I refresh my inbox. The subject of the third email down reads: Disney College Program Spring Advance 2020. Butterflies start bubbling up, down, and around in my stomach. This must be THE email. THE email that could mean Christmas surprise and relief, or Christmas disaster. The date sent says 12/23/19. Two days ago. Frightening thoughts build up in my head. What if, and that if seems very small in reality, I got accepted but didn't respond in time? What if they picked someone else because I lacked the promptness required and...and. No. I shake my head as if to clear it and click  on the email.

       The email opens to reveal a purple bar at the top with the now familiar font in yellow saying "Disney College Program". Pictures directly under the bar reveal smiling cast members looking like they don't have a care in the world. I slowly drop my eyes down to the first line: Dear Taylor, and then...Congratulations! The rest of the email blurs as tears of happiness form in my eyes. I forward the email to my parents, and without bothering to logout of my email or even turn off my computer, I belly flop onto my bed to text my best friend. She replies almost instantly. That's one thing I can always count on from Alex. What I'm not counting on is how she replies.

<Hav U heard the news?!?>

       Confused, I reply back.

<What news?>

       A few seconds later my phone dings in the alert tone I have set for her: R2D2 beeping his head off.

<Its all over the internet>

       I jump in my rolly chair and drag myself back over to the laptop and white desk. Jiggling the mouse, then heading to my favorite search engine, mouseears.com, I don't need to type anything in to know what Alex is talking about. My mouth gapes open like I never thought it could before.