Noir moved closer even though Dream could not see or feel her. She whined sympathetically.

"It's all so confusing. Trusting him could bite me in the butt. Not trusting him could get me killed. What do I do?"

Noir put her head on her paws. The confusion coming off Dream was enough to send her head spinning. Adding fear to that had Noir's heart squeezing. No one could help Dream with the decision. It was hers alone to make.

"No reward without risk." Dream whispered. "Dad's right. Without risking something you don't gain anything."

Good for her. Noir thought. She has learned that taking risks is not always bad.

~*~

Dream lay back across the bed. The decision to trust Anubis with her life had her shaking. Her memories had her mind screaming what an idiot she was. She rubbed her eyes. Images of her school days came to her. Kids in grade school teased her about not understanding why stories always ended happily. In high school, the kids had called her a freak for knowing all about the Greek gods before the class. Isolation had followed after that.

She shook her head to clear it. Anubis already knew about her ability. Her fears were built off the kids that she grew up with. She rubbed her eyes again before rolling over and curling up. Sleep would help. Her eyes closed. She yawned. After what seemed like minutes, something grabbed her arm and threw her to the ground.

"Stay quiet."

Dream blinked. Anubis was crouched beside her. His face was hard. She blinked again. He was very intent on something over the bed. She tried to sit up, but he pushed her back.

"Stay down." He said and lowered himself beside her. "We have company."

"Who?" She whispered.

"I am unsure."

She heard light footsteps enter the room. Her body froze. The steps reached the bed and stopped.

"Come on out." A male voice said. "Come out and no one gets hurt."

"Why should we believe you?" Anubis asked, his voice seeming to move around the room.

"I have no reason to lie to you." The man said. "My name is Linx."

Dream looked at Anubis. She could see the debate in his eyes. He motioned for her to stay down before he rose to his feet.

"Put down your gun." He said.

"No. The gun is my insurance. Where is the girl?"

"Safe." Anubis shifted to hide her. The movement was imperceptible. "What do you want?"

"Her."

"Not possible."

"Why?" Linx asked.

"I am to ensure her safety and that does not include letting you take her."

Dream heard a click.

"Give her to me." Linx's voice sounded unstable.

Dream sighed before standing. The man called Linx had shaggy brown hair that was in bad need of a cut and dirt brown eyes. He was skinny - too skinny in Dream's opinion. It looked like he hadn't eaten in weeks. Anubis turned to look at her.

"What are you doing?"

"Giving myself up."

Linx motioned with his gun. "Walk over here."

Anubis caught her arm. "You cannot do this." He said. "This defeats the purpose of bringing you here."

Dream sighed. "He found me anyway." She lowered her voice. "I trust you to rescue me. I can find out more about this if I'm captured."