Dream Girls: Piper Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

When I stepped out of my room, I had to smile a little. Stephanie looked like a model. Her perfect body was squeezed into a hot-pink mini-skirt, and her one-shoulder top showed the perfect amount of cleavage. Her hair, which I would compare to "the Rachel" that Jennifer Aniston wore for a couple of years on Friends, looked amazing. I had tried the layered look in ninth grade and I'd looked more like a dude or a lesbian that was trying too hard. I was told both, so needless to say, I kept my hair long.

Nic wore simple skinny jeans, a purple sequined tank, and the cutest pair of brown wedges, which I know for a fact Steph picked out. Nothing against our poor Nicole, but she wasn't really into fashion. She was just more focused on her studies. She was going to be a pediatrician, and trust me—no one was going to get in her way. Nic was very determined. She graduated at the top of our class and was voted "Most Likely to Succeed". She was almost too nice. Steph and I had to step in when someone was being rude to her or taking advantage of her because she would fold like a cheap suit.

I was feeling free tonight, due to us finally having our own place, so I went with a long, flowing dress with sandals. I didn't wear heels too often because I was five foot seven, the tallest out of all three of us, and I hated towering over everyone. My dress was pretty colorful, so I was able to keep my jewelry simple, with a plain silver chain. I left my long, blonde hair straight. I'd thought about wearing my hair up, but I didn't want to draw too much attention to my back. I had two small angel wings tattooed on my shoulder blades, nothing too extravagant, but they were a real douchebag attractor.

I was the only one out of the three of us who had any ink or piercings. My navel, ears, and eyebrow were the only piercings though; it wasn't like I was a wild child. My mom didn't mind too much about the piercings because she knew they weren't permanent. The tattoos—she didn't really care for. Every now and then, Steph would mention getting her navel pierced, but she hadn't done it yet. I couldn't see Nicole doing either.

"Piper, do we know where we're going?" Nic asked.

"I don't have a clue. Let's just go downtown and pick a place," I suggested.

"Girls, y'all look gorgeous!" Steph gushed.

We really did look good, and I knew we were about to get ten times the attention any of us had ever had in Missouri. This place was way bigger than anything we were used to. I knew Steph and I would have to stick close to Nicole until she got used to the atmosphere. We headed downtown, and from the minute I saw what Dallas had to offer, I knew I was going to love it. I couldn't wait to see what the future held for us.

Everything was bigger and brighter. There were people all over, and they were each focused on where they were going for the night. I loved the buzz in the air. It was electric, like whatever we chose to do, it would be fun.

We were all single and ready to mingle. Nicole had never really had a boyfriend before, unless you counted learning the difference between protons, neutrons, and electrons on Friday nights with Tristan Hays a relationship—and I didn't.

Stephanie, of course, dated Nathan, the most popular jock in school for three years. Everyone thought they were going to get married, until Nathan cheated on her with a college slut at a party he attended one night with his buddies. He probably would've gotten away with it, but with technology these days, it was on the Internet before he even got home. The lucky girl he hooked up with had some amazing friends who posted their fun on Facebook. Steph was a wreck for a while, but soon decided that a fresh start was exactly what she needed.

At that point, Steph talked more about leaving. It wasn't that we didn't enjoy the small college in Missouri, but we wanted to experience more. The situation with Nathan finally gave her the nudge she needed to go ahead with our plan to move. I wasn't glad my friend had to go through that, but I was happy that we were finally here. Honestly, I thought she was better off, but I knew for a fact he was still begging her for a second chance through text messages every now and then.