I shook off my paralysis and renewed my efforts, prying ineffectually at his fingers in my desperation to be away from him. He chuckled malevolently and tightened his grip until I let out a moan of pain. I stopped struggling again, realizing that he was enjoying what I was doing. I was relieved, for once, to hear the Sheriff's voice in the corridor. The man let go of me and I ran toward the voice, hoping Guy was the one he was talking to.

I sobbed in relief when I say Guy, who immediately left the Sheriff to rush to me, concern etched all over his face. The Sheriff looked past me and chuckled gleefully. Guy looked back at him, and then over my shoulder, following his gaze. I felt him stiffen when he saw the man, and hold me tighter.

"I'm taking Marian to our room now," he growled, and the Sheriff chuckled again. I clung to Guy as he practically carried me through the corridor. "What did he do to you?" he asked harshly, and I managed to get the whole story out. He cursed when I had finished, and then softened his grip.

"I'm so sorry, Marian. I should have known what he had in mind after the last time." I shook my head, but he continued. "That man really has no sense of morality," he growled. When we reached our room, he laid me gently on the bed and rubbed my back. I could tell he was trying to think of a solution, but there was only one I could think of.

"I must stay here, Guy, until they are gone. I will lock the door every time you leave and not unlock it until I know it is you on the other side." He nodded reluctantly.

"I shall try to find another way, but that is probably what we will have to do." He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Who was that man?" I asked, and shuddered.

"Lord Winchester," Guy answered. "He is notoriously sinister, and if he has his sights on you we must definitely keep you out of them. I will not have you taken by the likes of him!" I nodded my head in agreement.

I had heard of Lord Winchester. He made the Sheriff look like a soft-hearted man. His penchant for unwilling women, especially other men's wives, was well known, even in Nottingham, where he had never been before as far as I knew. I wanted nothing to do with him, and if keeping myself locked up was the only way to accomplish that, I was more than willing.

And then I remembered that someone had to meet with Robin and let him know what was going on. I stood indecisively next to the door, wringing my hands. I reached out to touch the door's handle, reconsidered, and then went over to the bed and sat down. Hopefully Guy would come back soon and we could decide what to do together. I had learned my lesson about running off on my own into dangerous situations.

My hands skimmed my growing belly as I thought about the baby. It wasn't just myself I had to take care of anymore. I was linked inextricably to Guy, especially with this baby growing inside me. Sighing, I made an extra attempt to be patient. Eventually it paid off as I heard a knock and his voice at the door. Rushing over, I unlocked it and he quickly strode in.

"Guy," I began, interrupted by a quick kiss, "someone needs to go talk to Robin." He nodded grimly.

"Thank you for waiting here to tell me," he replied, and I blushed at how easily he had read my mind. His arms came around my waist as he chuckled. "No need to be embarrassed, Wife. It was more your face I was reading than your mind." I smiled and lifted my face for another kiss, this one longer than the last.

When we finally drew apart we were both breathing heavily, and my dress was partially unbuttoned. He took a deep breath and stepped away. I frowned, and he took my chin in his hand, caressing my jaw.

"We shall have to continue this later. Right now I have Robin to see and the Sheriff to return to before he realizes how long I've been gone. Of course, I do have an excuse at the ready," he grinned at me, and I returned the look, my heart still beating erratically. As if adding its bit to the conversation, the baby moved, and I gasped with delight. I my hands went out toward his, and I guided them to my belly.