Chapter 2

Caroline POV:

My phone bleeped.
" who's that it's so early?" Luke asked half asleep
" it's probably an email."
It was Jenna.
J- I'm on my way, my plane just landed. Does he know?
C- no but he was really upset last night.
J- I know I could tell
C- we'll be waiting

I couldn't go back to bed so I got up made breakfast and got the boys up.
" good morning." Luke said kissing the tops of the boys heads and then kissing me.
" morning, breakfast is on the table."
He sat down across from me.
" excited for tonight?" I asked
" yeah."
" come on Luke it's the 50th annual ACM awards. You do it every year. You and Blake. And you both get so excited."
" not this year."
" Luke..."
" I'm going to go take a shower."
I hung out with the boys.

Luke POV:

I took a shower and I felt bad that I was taking it out on my wife. I got out of the shower and she was playing with the boys.
" sorry guys I need to borrow your mom."  I said and I pulled her into the kitchen.
" what Luke."
" I'm sorry."
" Luke..."
" no wait. I know I was being an ass before. You did nothing. I know. She told me you called her. Thank You. This is on me. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I love you." I said and I kissed her.
" you were a little bit of an ass." She smirked
" I was." I pouted  and kissed her again.
" I am excited about tonight though."
" good."
There was a knock on the door.
" who's that?" I asked
" I don't know." Caroline said
I opened the door.
" hey big bro."
It was Jenna. She was carrying her bags.
" what are you doing here?" I asked
" you gonna let me in? These bags are heavy."
I moved out of the way and Bo and Tate ran over.
" AUNT JENNA!" They yelled
" hey boys I've missed you!"
" Jenna what are you doing here."  I said
" I'm moving in."
I turned towards Caroline and she smiled.
" you knew about this?"
" she wanted to surprise you." She said
" I thought you said you didn't want to move in and nothing's ready in the house."
" I decided to move in you were right Luke."
" Luke nothing would have been ready anyway we can figure it out." Caroline said
" okay. I'm glad you're here. You can unpack later. We need to get ready for the awards show."

Caroline POV:

Luke walked into the bedroom and Jenna looked at me with confusion.
" watch the boys?" I asked
" of course." She said and I went into the bedroom.
"Luke what the hell?"
" I'm sorry?"
" we all thought you'd be more excited that you got your way."
" I didn't."
" what are you talking about?"
" she's not here for me she's here for her nieces and nephew. She knows and I think you told her."
" she needed to know."
" I decide that!" He snapped
I snickered. " fine Luke you decide everything from now on."

Luke POV:

Caroline walked out and I felt instantly bad for snapping at her after all she did get my sister here.
" CAROLINE WAIT!"
" no Luke. I don't know what your problem is but I'm not gonna put up with it today. You got your way. I'm leaving but don't worry I'll be back to be your arm candy for the award show."
And just like that she left the bus. Jenna looked at me as to say "what the hell" . I just went into the bedroom.

Jenna POV:

I followed Caroline outside.
"Caroline wait up!" I yelled
" Jenna go inside I'm fine."
" no you're not. I can tell. Listen, he's a pain in the ass sometimes trust me I know. But he's still hurting from Kelly and Chris. We all are. I just don't think he realizes that he's not alone. Me, saying I wasn't coming triggered everything. I was young and Luke doesn't think I remember much about them. But I was old enough to. I remember everything about them. Everybody says I look like her and I have to play dumb as they reminisce. Truth is I know I do .i look exactly like her. So when she died and Chris died a piece of our family died. Then you and Luke got married and I gained a sister again. I can't lose another sister. I don't have the strength in me and I don't think Luke does either."
" you remember them?"
" everything about them."
" why haven't you told anyone?"
" it'll hurt them too much. Plus they've had enough pain. And I didn't want them to know that I was in pain too."
" Jen you can't keep that to yourself...you gotta talk to some body."
" I did. The family psychiatrist promised to not say anything. Obviously she kept her word. I was worried about that."
" doctor patient confidentiality."
" exactly. So I got a tattoo."
" that helped?"
" not really but I did it for me and them."
" can I see it?"
I lifted my shirt and showed her.
" the one that says " you'll be his wings and he'll be your anchor, that's for Chris. And the one that says wherever you go I'll go and where ever you stay I'll stay is for Kelly."
" wow Jen that's really nice."
" I've got another one."
I showed her.
" I've always known. R.I.P. Chris and Kelly thanks for everything love you." Caroline read
" and then the birth and death date."
" Jen nobody ever asked you anything, nobody even thought to sit and talk to you about it. Are you okay?"
" the wound is still healing. I'll be okay."
" oh and you're not gonna lose me. I'm not going anywhere."
I smiled.
Caroline smiled. Luke came out.
" what's going on?" He asked
" nothing." Caroline said
" girl talk."
" Jen can you go inside I need to talk to my wife."
" yeah." I put a hand on Luke's shoulder and went inside.

Caroline POV:

" babe I'm so sorry. I'm done. I'm not gonna keep acting like this I don't know what has gotten into me lately."
" I don't know either but we are going to have to work it out for us, the kids, Jen."
" jen?"
" I can't tell you. I promised I wouldn't."
" I'm her brother and your husband. You can tell me."
" no not this. This. This she needs to tell you."
" okay so send her out."
" no when she's ready."
" Caroline...."
" don't push it Luke."
" Caroline tell me what's going on."
" no Luke."
" Caroline! She's my sister I need to make sure she's okay! I need to know if she's hurting. I don't want to show her my pain, that's why I didn't tell her about Kelly's husband because I don't want her to know that pain exists."
" I know. That's why I married you. That's why I love you. But she already does."
" what does that mean?"
" she remembers Luke."
" remembers what?"
" everything Luke. Chris, Kelly. She remembers everything."
" she was too young to remember what are you talking about?"
" but she wasn't and nobody was worried about her."
She kissed my head.

AFTER THE AWARDS SHOW....
Jenna POV:
" Jenna come out here please." Luke said
" what's up?"
" here have a beer."
" what's going on?"
" nothing can't a brother have a drink with his sister?"
" not if he's never done it before."
" well here's to new beginnings."
" to new beginnings." And we clinked glasses.
" you know I love you right?" He asked
" yeah of course."
" so when I hide things away from you its because I don't want you to know my pain because I don't want you to know pain exists."
I was silent.
" Caroline told me. And no you don't get to be mad at her because she's my wife and your sister and because we are family and family tells each other these things. Jenna why didn't you say anything?"
" I didn't want to cause more pain."
" you weren't going to Jen. We were already in a lot of pain. Enough to make everything go numb. So numb that we were oblivious to you and your feelings. We kept telling ourselves that you were too young to remember when you really weren't. You were old enough. I'm sorry I should have looked out for you more."
" Luke stop its not your fault. It's nobody's. I was in pain and I dealt with it my way just like everybody dealt with it their way. I decided not to tell anybody because it was better that way. I wasn't okay back then but I am now. That's why you brought me here. To take care of me. After Chris and Kelly you were the only one who really did. Mom and dad were too sad to even go out for a while. You did what you could. We all did."
" are you okay?"
" I am. I have my moments, I'm still getting through it but I'm okay. You?"
" I'm still taking one step at a time."
He sat there in silence.
" I look like her." I said
He smiled " yeah you do."
We sat there and stared at the stars and finished our beers. I'm glad I told them. They needed to know.