Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)

Start from the beginning

          I sat a couple of new books on the book shelf and then looked down at her, “I don’t know, I guess it’s because I waited so long.”

          “Well, still what did she expect?” Emily asked.

          We sat around for while longer, cutting open boxes putting the books in alphabetical order.

          “So, are you going to the festival this weekend?” Tanner asked curiously.

          I sighed, as I remembered the annual summer festival. The festival that I wouldn’t be attending. I knew, all the Bradford’s would be there, they always were.

          “Nah, I doubt it.”

          “What? Why? You never miss it.” Tanner looked over at me with a wandering expression.

          “I’m really just not in the partying mood.”

          I wasn’t in the mood to have to attend and have to watch Izzy give me dirty looks all night, and then have to watch Charlie be all over Danny. It honestly didn’t sound appealing at all.

          We all stood in the back for a while getting the shelves straight when the front bell rang. “Sam, do you mind?” Tanner asked me as he picked a heavy box up filled with new books.

          I ran to the front, to see Izzy standing there nervously. She always bit her lip and twirled her hair when she was nervous. I stopped in my tracks and looked at her as she spoke, “Hi”

          I looked at her for a moment, trying to figure out her blunt expression. I couldn’t tell if she was pissed or upset. I wanted so badly for everything to be like it was.  Part of me wished that I could take back everything that had happened with Danny, just so I would have her friendship.

          I shifted a little bit on my feet as I walked over to the counter, “Hey.”

          She walked a couple of steps closer, but then she stopped. “Uh, can we maybe, talk?”

          I looked back to Tanner and Emily who were still in the back, flirting away. “Tanner, I’m taking a break.” I knew he wouldn’t care since we weren’t busy at all. Plus, he and Emily were too caught up in themselves.

          I grabbed my keys before he could say anything and walked past Izzy. My mind couldn’t decide if I was mad at her, I mean she had slapped me and didn’t give the time to explain myself.

          I looked back to Izzy as she followed me out of the door silently. She had only said a couple of words to me in the store; I can’t imagine what she would have to say to me while we were alone.

          We sat on the bench outside of the bookstore in silence for the longest time. I couldn’t say anything, and she was just too stubborn to say the first words. Time ticked down like a time bomb, it was like if someone didn’t say something soon I would blow up in nervousness. I glanced over at her, while she tried her hardest to keep her gaze from mine.