Chapter two -What happened on Sunday, part two

Leaning back in my chair, I push my food away and sigh.
'You are not going to drop this, are you?"
Done with her meal, Vera is now busily reapplying her bright red lipstick and pops out "No' to my question.
I sourly huff 'Didn't think so' , then hastily launch into my recital when Vera gives me the stink eye.
' So you know how Sunday was mother's day celebration, right?,
'Yes...'
'And you remember what you expressly told me not to do, right?"
'Oh..oh, Salome...'
I ignore her oh..oh's and quickly rush on
'I was trying to walk in faith. How was I to know when they said mothers should say a few words about their children, they meant actual children, and not... you know.... my future kids'
Exasperatedly, Vera shushes me before saying
'Honey, you know you are my friend right?"
'Yes, I know but...'
'And you know friends tell each other the truth, right'
Knowing where she is going, I quickly blurt 'You are right. You told me not to do it, I did and looked like a fool when I was called out on it. Not to even mention how embarrassed Damilola was.'

Leaning forward to take my hands, Vera has an earnest look on her face.
' But its not just today's debacle I want to talk about. Last year you did a lot of crazy things. Taking a loan to decorate your future child's room, going to inquire in nursery school about enrolling your children, paying your neighbour's son to pretend to be your son at our annual christmas party..... The list goes on and on. And now Sunday's fiasco. Salome you need to calm down. Yes you are being pressured by your in laws, but your husband is okay. He isnt hounding you. You can't keep up with these ideas, these plans. You are going out of control. You need to breathe, take a step back and just be. Okay? Can you do that for me? At least for a while? No baby forming plans, no shopping sprees,nothing, okay?"
I am silently fuming at the harsh words.
Seeing my mutinous expression, Vera presses my hands harder and stresses, 'Okay?'
Finally, reluctantly, I mumble "okay'.
Relief visible on her face, she releases my hands and smiles gleefully.
'O.k, I am soooo glad that's over'
I smile and concur, listening as she launches into a sermon on Wande's qualities. Luckily, break ends before she can rhapsodize on his beautiful eyes, and I escape to my office to sulk and lick my wounds.