Chapter 27

Covers made by TheInfiniteImaginer :)

G R A Y S O N

I sat behind Jean as he gave his speech, I wasn't really paying attention, I was too busy trying to wipe the sweat forming on my forehead.

The crowd was huge and they were all focused on what Jean was saying. The opening of La Boussière Inc. was huge and I honestly didn't know how huge until just now. 

I could tell that I was about to have go up there and present when the crowd clapped, signaling the end of his speech.

I stood up and Jean walked to me as someone introduced me to the crowd and announced what I would be talking about.

Jean saw how nervous I was so he lightly grabbed me arm and whispered in my ear, "Breath Grayson, you'll do fine."

He then sat down and it was my turn to speak.

I walked up to the podium and took in a deep breath, I and turned to look back at Jean. He gave me a nod of encouragement.

I turned back around and began speaking.

"Before I begin, I would like to thank Jean for letting me speak in front of you today. Now I want to start off by telling you what happens behind closed doors in some homes. Abuse. It happens more than you would think. Kids are abused, physically, verbally, psychologically, sexually. Some kids have it worse than others. And no matter what abuse you go through, there are always scars, whether they are physical or mental, there are always scars.

"I was abused by my father who is now sitting in jail. I have scars that mark my body from my fathers abuse, they are constant reminders of my past," I looked down at the podium for a moment, suppressing my emotions, "But I also have memories of my abuse which might as well be scars that I can't get out of my mind. 

"I hate knowing that other children are going through the same thing that I went through or worse. I know how helpless they feel, as I have been through it. I don't want that for any child, ever. It's the worst thing in the world to feel like there is no hope when there really is. I may not be able to stop all the abuse in every home but with your help, I can help minimize it.

"I have teamed up with an organization that helps children in abusive homes. They get the children out of the abusive home and find them new, better homes. The money you donate today will go straight to the organization and they will use this money to get better things for the kids that have to stay in their foster care.

"Please, help these innocent children get help and discover hope. Thank you."

I was looking around the crowd and it was so surreal as they begun to clap and I saw some stand. I felt like everything was going in slow motion. I had done it, I had given my speech and people were clapping. From the corner of my eye I saw a camera, I turned to get a better look and saw that it was a news camera. I was on the news.

Just then Jean walked up and took me off the stage. Once we were down the stairs everything went back to normal and I saw Jean smiling at me, "You did great Grayson." He wrapped his arms around me.

Once he let go I looked down at my hands and saw that they were shaking. I looked up and smiled, "I was terrified."

Jean chuckled, "I know, I saw your legs shaking, I thought you were going to fall."

My eyes widened in horror, "Are you serious?"

"No."

I pushed him and turned to the stage when I heard the crowd clap again. The man that introduced me had closed up the speech and announced that now was the time to tour the building and ask questions.

"It's time for us to go inside." Jean said.

I smiled, I hadn't seem it completely done. I followed Jean inside right before people started filing in.

People begun to chat with Jean and I was surprised when a few of them asked me questions and talked with me about my speech and abuse. It got a little awkward at times but I was surprised at how easily I could change the subject with some of them.

I looked away from the woman I was talking to as I saw three very familiar people walk in from the corner of my eye.

I turned and saw Charlotte, Violetta, and Celian all walk in. "Excuse me for a moment." I smiled politely at her and she nodded.

I walked over to them and Violetta immediately rapped her arms around me, "Your speech was amazing Grayson."

"I thought you couldn't make it." I said as Violetta let me go.

"That was a lie, I just wanted to surprise Jean. I had no idea you would be giving a speech, you were great." Charlotte smiled and wrapped her arms around me.

When Charlotte let go, Celian's arms wrapped around me and he spoke, "I had no idea that's how you got the scars."

I had forgotten that Jean's siblings didn't know.

I nodded, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, it's just something I don't really don't like talking about.

"Don't apologize." Violetta said.

Just then Jean walked up and hugged his family, "I thought y'all couldn't come."

"I lied, I wanted to surprise you." Charlotte said.

"Where's Basile?" He asked.

"He couldn't make it."

Jean nodded, "Figures."

"I'm sorry Jean, he told me he wished he could come but he couldn't leave, things are a little hectic back home." Charlotte said.

Jean just nodded and changed the subject, "When do y'all have to leave?"

"Tomorrow morning."

Jean smiled, "Then y'all should eat dinner with us tonight, Grayson and I will cook for you."

They smiled, "Okay."

Just then someone pulled Jean to the side and begun asking questions.

The lady I had asked to wait for me had walked back to me and we resumed our conversation as other people recognized Jean's family and begun asking questions.

That's what we all did for about an hour before the crowd started to die down and we all went to our house for dinner.

I hope you liked it! :)

I just wanted to let you guys know that this story is coming to an end, I only plan to write a few more chapters.

~Beatrice