"What's wrong?" I smile at his expression- he looks so confused.

"Uhm...," I see his toes wiggle in the tops and he giggles softly, as if shoes are really amusing to him, "what are being these?"

I ignore the pang in my heart, having resigned myself to the idea that Jase's lack of knowledge on things that should be familiar to him will always be a painful thing for me.

"They're shoes babe. They protect your feet," I tell him, and he wiggles his toes again with a breathless laugh, like he doesn't use it often. I know he doesn't.

"Protect my feet," he mumbles happily, looking up to smile at me brightly. "Master is always protecting me. Thank you Sir."

I smile genuinely back at him and nod, kissing his forehead before standing with him.

He stumbles a little in his shoes and I catch him gently, righting him again and holding his hand tightly to make sure he doesn't fall as we walk out. I flick the light switch off behind us and notice how intimate it feels to hold his hand, though I've done much more than this with him. It just feels classically special. I tighten my fingers between his and he smiles without saying anything, focusing on walking.

He makes it downstairs fine once I untangle our fingers and wrap my arm around his waist, supporting him even though he's always tense on the steps. I lead him out the front door to meet the car that Michael, my driver, is waiting in out front. I'm walking with him down the front steps when he freezes.

I turn to look at him and find him staring all around him in fascination. I forgot- this is his first time out. I stop and turn, taking a step down so I can stand right in front of him, at eye level. His eyes are filled with tears.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly, and he smiles a little bit, glancing down and reaching for my hand again. I smile like I always do when he initiates any kind of contact, and willingly twine my fingers together with his.

"Am okay Sir," he whispers, "the air is to being different outside. Feels good." He inhales deeply and I kiss his cheek gently, loving how content he looks. He's excited. Happy. All new expressions to watch flick across his face.

"Well. We have to get in the car to go to the restaurant but we can eat outside once we get there if you'd like."

His face lights up and he nods enthusiastically.

"Yessir! Thank you Sir!"

I laugh softly and wrap an arm around his waist, pulling him down the rest of the steps. Mike opens the car door for him and then moves to open mine for me. I lean over to buckle Jase's seatbelt, my hands brushing his hip gently and making him shudder. I pretend I didn't notice, hiding my smile. I settle in myself and take his hand again, pressing our palms together.

"Where to Sir?" Mike asks, and I feel Jase freeze beside me.

"I didn't really have a specific place. Your favorite restaurant I suppose. I don't think either myself or Jase has any picky preferences."

Mile smiles and nods, always happy to get to do something nice. He's a genuinely kind guy. Sliding closed the divider between the driver's area and passenger's backseat, I turn to Jase and notice how tense he is.

"What?" I ask, confused. He shakes his head quietly and tries to muster up a smile.

"Nothing is being wrong Sir," he whispers, and I frown. He was so happy a moment ago- what happened?

"Tell me. Lying won't be tolerated Jase, you know that."

He rubs at his legs nervously and I frown. What on earth could've stressed him out so much?