The Music Of My Heart

Chapter 7

I couldn't sleep that night, I was too worried about Jem to sleep. Mostly I stared up at the ceiling, and wondered if he was okay.

When someone knocked on my door, I was hoping for it to be Will, or even better, Jem. But it was Sophie.

“He'll be okay ma'am, he always is.” She told me, when she saw the worried look on my face.

“Thank you for that Sophie. I just feel like its my fault. I should have taken a weapon with me, I-I don't know why I didn't.” I stared out the window at the bright light outside, to prevent myself from crying.

“May I help you get dressed?” I sighed and got up, and let her help me into the stupid dress. I didn't even care what it looked like, or what I looked like for that matter.

“Breakfast will be served soon, if you're hungry.” She left then, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

A little later, I went downstairs. I found Tessa, Charlotte, and Henry talking in the dining room.

“They want me, maybe you should just let him have me.” Tessa said, and I rolled my eyes.

“I don't know whether to call you noble, or stupid. That's exactly what the Magister wants, you. And me as well. You'd be giving him what he wants, which is not the right thing to do.” I sat down in a chair, but I didn't eat any of the food that was in front of me.

“So even if if would stop everybody getting hurt, you wouldn't turn yourself in? I don't know whether to call you selfish, or stupid.” Tessa retorted, and I merely laughed.

“I've dealt with people like the Magister. My father was like that. You have to be able to think like them. He knows that hurting everyone around you will get him nowhere. Especially if he kills them. Then he'll have no leverage.” I said, much to the stunned looks of everybody. “No, he won't kill anyone, at least not unless they really get in his way.”

“Shelby? Can you come with me?” Will was standing in the doorway, dark circles were under his eyes, as if he, like me, hadn't slept last night.

I nodded and stood up from the table. He took me to Jem's room, and I stood in the doorway, staring at Jem.

His chest was rising and falling slowly, as if he was sleeping. As I walked closer, I could see how pale his skin was from yesterday.

Will walked over to me silently, and handed me a glass and a knife. I cut myself, and it went into the glass. He drew an iratze and I handed him back the knife.

Will left soon after, and I was left in Jem's room alone, with his sleeping figure.

I sat down in a chair next to his bed and whispered quietly, “I am so sorry. It was me he was after, and I didn't even have a weapon with me. What kind of stupid move was that? You could have died, it would have been my fault-” I cut off when I realized two things, one that I was crying, and two, that Jem was awake.