"No, but that was really strong." I tried defending myself and lifted myself onto the counter. I wasn't much for parties, besides the drinking. That, I liked.

"You're such a pussy," Dylan rolled her eyes. "Well, I'm going to look for Chase." She said and started walking away.

"Wait, Chase? Chase who?" I turned my head and looked at her.

She looked back at me and shrugged. "Someone I met at orientation. He's hot, like, really hot." She winked at me before walking away drink in hand to find her possible fuck buddy for the night.

I grabbed another handful of chips and sighed. I kind of figured I would be left alone tonight.

I took a few more sips of my drink and eventually ran out of both a drink and chips. I took off my beanie seeing as it was getting pretty hot in the crowded house, and ran a hand through my dark hair. I sat on the counter, bored out of my mind, until someone familiar came in with someone not so familiar.

It was the guy from orientation. This time though, he wasn't sporting his tie-dye tank top, but instead a faded purple Emerson hoodie. My eyes widened and jumped off the counter as fast as possible so he wouldn't see me.

"Wait!" He called behind me.

"Shit," I said under my breath. I knew he didn't hear me with this loud music. I bit my lip and turned around. I faked a smile when I saw him and walked towards him.

"I didn't know you would be coming here," He said and brought his beer can to his lips. I mentally puked.

"Well, why wouldn't I?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You just... didn't look the type." He said matter-of-factly.

The girl, who I completely forgot about, cleared her throat to ease the tension. "Hi," She greeted and extended her arm out. "I'm Sydney. Sydney Ellis." She smiled at me, revealing her brilliant white teeth. Like, really white. I took her hand gratefully. "Ashlee Becker."

"I like your name," She complimented. She seemed nice enough.

"Thank you. I like yours also." Sydney tucked a strand of her curled brown hair behind her ear. "Are you from South Africa?" I blurted out. My eyes widen and I felt my cheeks flush. Did I really just ask that?

She giggled and shook her head. "No, I'm from good old America. Why do you ask?"

I bit my embarrassment back. "It's just, Ellis is a South African surname." I lied. Fuck if I knew if it was, I don't even know why I said that in the first place.

Sydney clicked her tongue and shrugged. "As far as I know, I don't have any South African in me." I nodded my head and put a hand on the counter. Could this be any worse?

The guy with Sydney finally spoke. "Well, I know your name now, and I forgot my manners at the orientation so," He also extended his arm out. "I'm Kai Quinn, and it's a pleasure to meet you." The way he drawled out the word pleasure made me feel giddy inside. Lord if I knew why.

I reluctantly took his hand, which was quite firm. I quickly pulled away and shoved my hand into my pocket. Smooth.

Sydney looked between the both of us and shook her head. "Hopeless you two," She clicked her tongue in disapproval before walking off somewhere.

It was awkward after she left, just leaving me and Kai alone in the kitchen. "So..." He looked around. "You enjoying yourself?"

I shrugged. "I guess," I looked down at the counter where my hand was. "I was ditched, so."