Chapter 1: The Return

"EEEK! Dipper, wake UP!" Some may say that this is an unsettling way to start your day, but by now, I'm used to it. "This better be good Mabel," I said with a groan, "I was in the middle of a dream where I was winning the Nobel Peace Prize." I opened my eyes to find an excited Mabel breathing heavily and smiling ear-to-ear. "Today's the day!" She squealed and jumped onto my bed. Oh. Right. Today's the day we return to Gravity Falls to live with our Great Uncles for the summer. Of course Mabel was ecstatic, Ford and Stan simply adored her. My feelings, on the other hand, were mixed. "But I'm tired..." I moaned and rolled so my back was to her trembling body. "Sleep's for the weak, now get your butt out of bed before I call Mom up!" That did it. Nobody liked to face an irritated Pines' mother in the morning. I got up and out of my oh-so-comfy bed and finished packing my suitcase. Toothbrush? Check. Cellphone? Snack food? Check. I was ready to go. One long bus ride later, we had arrived. We hiked up to the old wood cabin, weaved around the fallen bits of signage from the former tourist trap and knocked softly on the door. "SOMEBODY'S AT THE DOOR, FORD!" Came a loud screech from inside that made both twins jump. "WHA-?!" Replied a startled Stanley. "I SAID- Oh, never mind." Concluded an irritated Stanford. We heard footsteps coming closer to the door and suddenly it swung open. "Sorry, the Mystery Shack is officially closed- TWINS!" Yelled Stanford as he suddenly realized who his visitors were. He pulled Mabel into an awkward hug and ruffled my hair. "LEE! IT'S MABEL AND DIPPER!" Screamed Stanford into the dusty cabin. Suddenly, Stanley burst into the room and scooped us both into a choke hold. "Finally came to visit your good ol' Grunkles, eh?" said Stanley as he released them both. "W-well," started dipper with a jolt of embarrassment, while Mabel began an in-depth conversation about the properties of rainbows with Grunkle Ford. "Nah, it's okay, I was only kidding," said Stanley with a wink. "Come on in, kiddos, your rooms are prepped and ready to go. I'd suggest you get up there and settle in for the night". "Goodnight Ford, goodnight Stan" said Mabel with a yawn as she trotted upstairs. I said the same and followed her up the creaky stairs. I proceeded to unpack my bags and slip into my pyjamas. Tomorrow would mark a new day, the start of their summer. Finally, I let the temptation of sleep overcome me and all faded to darkness.