Chapter 9

"Sound the alarm!" called Vikus, and the palace immediately exploded into frantic activity. Horns began to blare, people rushed in and out, bats swooped down for orders and vanished again without taking the time to land.

Belle barely knew what to think, and for a moment she was frozen in place, unsure of what to do. What had until now been only a vague threat from the rats and their king was suddenly all too present. It had begun with Gregor's escape, the encounter with Fangor and Shed...and their deaths. Now Regalia was at war, and it wasn't far away. It was almost here, right on the doorstep of home. Belle's body wanted to panic--started to, in fact, beginning with the unpleasant feeling of not being able to draw a full breath. She struggled to find some way to alleviate that overwhelming fear, and finally managed to suck in enough air to let it back out on a long whistle. Shoving two fingers between her lips, she whistled again.

As more and more news of the danger from rats had reached them, Belle and Persephone had decided that they needed some sort of emergency signal--a way for them to find each other if separated, or for one to let the other know that they were in danger. Ares knew about it, too--the long, piercing whistle. Even through all the chaos, they should be able to hear it.

Belle ran over to the balcony to watch for Persephone and steadied herself against the rail. Unfortunately, what she saw below her was anything but comforting. Regalia was swarming like a colony of ants. Many rats were coming, and the Underlanders were going into defense mode. Belle had never seen them prepare for war before.

War. Her home was about to become a war zone. It was a terrifying thought.

As she turned away, a strong hand caught her by the arm. Belle looked up and saw Vikus; his face was taut with fear. "Belle, please prepare yourself, for we leave shortly," he said tightly.

"For where?" asked Gregor's voice, just beyond Vikus. "Where are we going?"

Vikus turned. "To rescue your father."

"Now?" asked Gregor, and in his voice was a little of the apprehension Belle felt. "We can go with the rats attacking? I mean, there's a war starting, right?"

"Not any war. We believe it is the war foretold in 'The Prophecy of Grey.' The one thing that may bring about the complete annihilation of our people," explained Vikus. "Pursuing the quest for your father is our best hope of surviving it."

"I can take Boots, right?" said Gregor. Then he shook his head. "I mean, I'm taking her."

"Yes, Boots shall come," agreed Vikus. "Now prepare yourselves!" With that, he strode away and began giving someone orders with a lot of expansive hand gestures.

Gregor looked at Belle. "What do we do?" he asked. "To...prepare?"

Belle didn't know what to say. "Um...gather supplies, I suppose," she replied at length. "Food, water, light, weapons...medical supplies." She looked around for help and found Mareth striding toward them. His big, strong silhouette was something of a comfort in the chaos; Belle hoped he was coming with them. "Mareth!" she called with a wave, and he quickened his pace. "Will you take Gregor to the museum so he can find supplies for the journey?" she asked when he had reached them. "I must find Persphone." Mareth agreed and strode away again, leading Gregor.

"Belle!" There was another familiar voice, and comforting enough that it eased the pain in Belle's chest. She ran to Persephone and buried her face in her bond's soft fur.

"Thank goodness you are here," she breathed as she pulled back. "We are leaving on the quest now, Perse, the quest to find Gregor's father! Everyone is preparing as we speak."