Caroline didn't moved, didn't speak. She didn't know what was going to happen. Was Elijah here to beg Jennifer to come back with him... or was he here to kill her for leaving.

Finally Elijah broke the silence, his face soft as he looked at me. "Did you really think that we would stop looking for you, that we would abandon you at a time like this... little sister?"

The wall that Caroline had cracked came crashing down around me when Elijah called me sister. Before any of us could blink, could react, I was across the room with my arms thrown around Elijah. The tears I had been holding back were now flowing over my cheeks.

"OH 'Lijah, I've missed you so much. I'm so sorry." My words came out mumbled as my head was buried against his chest. He patted my back, "I've missed you too Jennifer. As for your apology... bygones. No need to talk about it."

I pulled back to smile up at him, then I saw his shirt. "Oh god, I ruined your shirt... I'm sorry..." I couldn't stop apologising.

Elijah put his hands on my shoulders, "Jennifer, it is only a shirt. It does not matter. What matters is you, and bringing your home as soon as possible." His face grew somber, "In your absence I'm afraid my brother has become quite..." he looked like he was struggling for a word, finally he just sighed, "...Ruthless. My brother has become ruthless."

I didn't know how to respond. Ruthless?

It was obvious from Elijah's tone, and expression that it was far worse than he was letting on. I felt guilty. All I wanted to do was run back to Nik. I didn't know what to say. I had to fix this.

We both turned at the sound of Caroline fake coughing. She was looking past me, to Elijah. "This is all great and all, but aren't you going to address the elephant in the room." She asked him, pointing at me.

Hey... who the hell was she calling an elephant.

She saw the look on my face and sighed, then pointed at my stomach. Oh right... that.

"Excuse me Miss Forbes?" Elijah did not look impressed by the disappointed tone in Caroline's voice.

"You haven't once asked Jennifer how is she coping with what is happening to her. You do realise that baby is your niece or nephew?" her voice was dripping with accusation.

Elijah's face once again softened as he turned his attention back to me once more, "Of course you are right Miss Forbes. How have you been coping Jennifer... and the baby?"

I thought about my answer for a moment, "I've haven't been coping Elijah, I don't even know what was done to me. But for the most, the baby is fine. I can feel it in me that it's healthy. Other than that, what can I say?"

He nodded, "What we know is the witches decided that they could no longer trust Niklaus to honor the deal he had made with them. We came to realise what had been done only after you had left New Orleans. It had become apparent to them that their plan to control my brother would be a fruitless endeavor. So they decided to ensure that control. When Sophie Devereaux was in our home she took some items belonging to you. They had three of their strongest witches perform some kind of dark spell to bring life from death. The next time you and my brother were... intimate, the magic was sealed."

Even though I had figured out myself that it was the witches who had done this to me, it still felt... surreal to hear how it had been done.

The old familiar feeling of anger started to creep through every part of my mind and body. All I had felt for months now was pain, sorrow and loneliness.

Elijah saw my demeanour change and rightly guessed its cause. "You need not worry about those who wronged you, those that did this. The three who performed the magic were executed my Marcel, although at the time we did not know the true purpose of the spell they cast. As for the elder witch who gave the order, Agnes, suffice to say Niklaus took care of her."

My lips formed a cold smile as I thought about how Nik would have 'taken care' of her. It felt so good, after spending months weak and lost, this feeling felt good. Then a thought occurred to me and my hands flew to my stomach, "What about my baby, if the witches did this to me, couldn't they undo it out of vengeance."

I couldn't explain it, although I knew there was nothing natural about this pregnancy I had grown to love my unborn child. The thought of losing it now was unbearable.

Elijah took my hand, "My dear, do not worry. As long as my family walk this earth no harm shall fall upon your child."

The conviction in his voice made my decision that much easier. I was tired of running, of hiding... and of being away from Nik.

I turned to Caroline, who looked like she was about to run. "Is there any chance I could convince you to come with me to New Orleans?"

Caroline looked doubtful, so I rushed on. "I know it's an awful lot to ask of you, so much as happened in the past. But this right here," I looked down at my stomach, rubbed my little bump, "this is proof that good can come from bad. I love my new family, but you're all I have from my old life. I need that, this child needs that."

I knew I wasn't exactly being fair. I was playing on her emotions, but I truly meant every word.

The Mikaelson's could be kind, gentle and loving. However I have seen how cold they can be, how vengeful. I could be that way too, I have been that way. I needed someone from my human life, who knew me before this life, to keep me grounded. The three of us stood, unmoving. Finally Caroline let out a loud sigh, "Fine, I'll come with you, at least until you have the baby. But you had better keep Rebekah away from me."

I had forgotten about the bitter rivalry that existed between the two blondes, but I ignored that and hugged my oldest friend. "Thank you so much Care." I whispered in her ear. I pulled back enough that I was still holding her, but I could now face Elijah.

"I guess I'm coming home."