Hey Einstein, I'm On Your Side

As the Arwings flew into the hanger and gently landed in their respective areas, a fierce tension filled the air. In all honesty, it was nothing new for the members of StarFox; tension was an inevitability for them. Peppy with his old world fashions, and Slippy being the major clutz that he is, not to mention the way Fox and Falco were constantly butting heads. The two didn't even need a legitimate reason to fight; it was almost second nature to them. However, this time was different. Something new was lingering over their heads, or at least over Fox and Falco's heads. 

            Once landed and stabilized, everyone climbed out of the cockpits and got themselves on the hard steel floor beneath them, very slowly and silently. But their silence spoke plenty for them. Slippy looked over at Peppy who motioned his head to come with him. The two left the docking area swiftly, the only sound was the echoing of their metal boots clanging against the ground. Falco was out of his Arwing, dusting off his visor, and while he tried not to look to interested, his bright red face told another story. Fox on the other hand was still making his way to the floor with a red painted face as well. The two weren't making any eye contact, but desperately had things they wanted to say. Finally, Falco broke the silence.

"Nice goin' out there Einstein," he said with sarcasm drowning his tone. "I was this close, this close! And what do you do? Blast my left wing!" Fox let out a huge sigh of aggravation as his face turned to an even brighter shade of red.

"Y'know something Falco, if you would just let us help you and work as a team for just once in your life, maybe not every guy we chase will get away." Neither one had yet to make eye contact.

"Oh, so I'm the problem?" 

"Yeah, you kinda are Falco. Hate to break this to you, but you aren't always right!"

"Oh, no, of course not. I wouldn't wanna step on little golden boy's boots! Don't worry Fox, we'll all just keep singin' your praises while you botch every last one of our missions. Then maybe you can also explain to th' General why wheneva we go on a chase, our guy gets away!" Falco was overflowing with rage, but still the two had yet to look up at each other.

"I would love to catch a guy and actually complete a mission for once, but unfortunately, all of us have the misfortune of trying to aim around your giant ego!"

"You are such a tool, y'know that?"

"Oh I'm the tool?"

"Yeah!  You think you're  so wonderful and always have your head up your ass, acting like your so great. You think that just because Peppy  kisses your ass all day long, you are the greatest leader and every idea that comes out of your lowsey snout is so amazing, but I know for a fact that I would make ten times the leader you could ever be, but you only get to be held on this high horse of yours because your goddamned dad died and everyone feels sorry for you!" This caught both of their attention, and the two finally looked at each other. Falco's face dropped as he realized what he had just said "Fox, wait, I didn't-"

"If that's really what you think of me," Fox said shakily, choking down his tears. "Then why don't I just get out of your way..." And with that Fox quickly walked himself out of the docking area. Falco looked down at his visor and clenched it tight in his wing until it cracked in his palm.

"But that isn't what I think of you..." He spoke quietly to himself. 

                                                                      *********************************

            Fox secluded himself in his living quarters, staring at the stars and cosmos that filled the space beyond his window. His face was puffy and his eyes were red; he had changed into his oversized pajama shirt with 'Panic! At the Disco" written on the chest and boxer shorts. Hundreds of thoughts ran through his head as he replayed the events that had transpired in the docking area not more than an hour ago. Lying on his messy crumpled sheets, still and motionless, almost to the point of looking dead, he thought of all the things he should and shouldn't of said before. You've always gotta say something, he thought to himself. You can never just keep your big snout shut, can you? Why didn't you just apologize?  

            Fox's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of knocking at his door. He curled up further into his own ball of himself, hopping whoever was there would just leave at the absence of a response. But once again, there was another knock. 

"It's open..." Fox mumbled as loud as he could. 

            The metal door slid open and in came Falco, holding a bowl filled with a salty stew which was what Slippy tried to pass off as dinner that night. He was still dressed in his flight gear. He walked over to Fox's bed and gently placed the bowl on his night stand. Then he proceeded to sit down next to the curled up fennec who had still yet to move or acknowledge the blue feathered bird's presence. Several times Falco tried to say something, only to realize that what he was going to say would sound stupid and end up saying nothing. A full five minutes past before the two said anything. Eventually, Falco worked up the guts to formulate a sentence.

"Listen," he said quietly. "I didn't mean what I said-"

"Then why did you say it?" Fox interrupted harshly, still remaining in his fetal position. Falco sat silently. "We always end up in this situation, with you saying you didn't mean it and me forgiving you, but I'm sick and tired of playing this game with you Falco. We aren't children." Falco still said nothing as he mulled over what Fox was saying. "So give me an answer," Fox continued. "Why did you say it if you didn't mean it?" Still nothing. "Well?" 

"I don't know." Falco said, annoyed with his lack of an answer. "I never mean to offend you or hurt you... but, sometimes it just gets so hard putting up with it all." Fox sat up now and looked at him. 

"Putting up with all of what?" Falco looked and Fox and then back down at his wings.

"The way Peppy treats you so nicely all the goddamned time and congratulates you for all the small things you do, meanwhile I do all this crap just to be noticed; to be noted just once for the hard work I do. You wonder why I'm always trying to do things myself, and to be honest its because thats the only way I can get any recognition around here. Peppy puts all his time and focus into you, like..." Falco hesitated, not wanting to offend Fox again, but what he was feeling needed to be said. "It's like he's trying to turn you into James. He still hasn't gotten over it and he thinks he can make up for it by trying to make you more like your father." Fox's ears popped up, surprised at the mention of his father's actual name. "But, I don't want to get into all of that right now. I just wanted to apologize for what I said earlier. That was really rude of me-"

"Its fine, lets just put that behind us." Fox but Falco short. "I never knew thats how you felt about the whole situation. I can see how that would lead you to say something like that." The two were finally looking each other head on. "And you know, you're right. You would make a much better leader than me."

"No, don't say that." Falco blushed.

"But you know its true." Fox was right, and Falco knew it. "The way you are always ready to take charge, and how you always know what to do in a stressful situation..." Without even noticing, Fox started to lean in closer to Falco and vise versa. The two were getting lost in each others eyes.

"Yeah," Falco said. "But, thats nothing compared to your charisma, and your teamwork skills, and how you're always there when we need you..." The two were beak to snout at this point, both their heads slightly tilted and eyes shutting. Their voices reduced to a quieter, smoother tone.

"But your stronger than me..." 

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Lets prove it."