Chapter six

I stare at the piece of paper, which brings back the memories of Natasha; I can clearly remember when she used to read me this fairy tale when I was really young and I couldn't sleep.

Once upon a time as a merchant set off for market, he asked each of his three daughters what she would like as a present on his return. The first daughter wanted a brocade dress, the second a pearl necklace, but the third, whose name was Beauty, the youngest, prettiest and sweetest of them all, said to her father:

"All I'd like is a rose you've picked specially for me!"

When the merchant had finished his business, he set off for home. However, a sudden storm blew up, and his horse could hardly make headway in the howling gale. Cold and weary, the merchant had lost all hope of reaching an inn when he suddenly noticed a bright light shining in the middle of a wood. As he drew near, he saw that it was a castle, bathed in light.

"I hope I'll find shelter there for the night," he said to himself. When he reached the door, he saw it was open, but though he shouted, nobody came to greet him. Plucking up courage, he went inside, still calling out to attract attention. On a table in the main hall, a splendid dinner lay already served. The merchant lingered, still shouting for the owner of the castle. But no one came, and so the starving merchant sat down to a hearty meal.

Overcome by curiosity, he ventured upstairs, where the corridor led into magnificent rooms and halls. A fire crackled in the first room and a soft bed looked very inviting. It was now late, and the merchant could not resist. He lay down on the bed and fell fast asleep. When he woke next morning, an unknown hand had placed a mug of steaming coffee and some fruit by his bedside.

The merchant had breakfast and after tidying himself up, went downstairs to thank his generous host. But, as on the evening before, there was nobody in sight. Shaking his head in wonder at the strangeness of it all, he went towards the garden where he had left his horse, tethered to a tree. Suddenly, a large rose bush caught his eye.

Remembering his promise to Beauty, he bent down to pick a rose. Instantly, out of the rose garden, sprang a horrible beast, wearing splendid clothes. Two bloodshot eyes, gleaming angrily, glared at him and a deep, terrifying voice growled: "Ungrateful man! I gave you shelter, you ate at my table and slept in my own bed, but now all the thanks I get is the theft of my favourite flowers! I shall put you to death for this slight!" Trembling with fear, the merchant fell on his knees before the Beast...

***

When I open my eyes to the bright early morning light, I realise that I slept in my clothes and the mysterious paper with the text from The Beauty and the Beast is unfolded on my bedside table. It no longer seems a coincidence that I found another fairy tale after coming back from Three Cliffs. I am certain that this piece of paper wasn't in my coat pocket before I went out with Felix, but I can't be sure because I don't tend to check if anything is in my pockets before I leave. I need to tell Aideen about this, especially after finding two stories, one after the other. I am confused about who to trust. I can't figure it out. Adam is very immature despite being over hundred years old. Aideen and Felix are hoping that I can solve this mystery of the Iron curse, so perhaps I should trust them.

I sigh and want to stay curled up in bed and sleep for a bit longer, but I know I have to get ready for my first class. I must keep it a secret about exactly who I met last night. As far as I can tell, Adam doesn't know about Aideen or Felix, so the situation must not get any more complicated.

When I get downstairs everyone is already up. Claire is rushing to go out and Emma is making a coffee in the kitchen. They both can't stop talking about the upcoming party. Claire sent invitations through social networking sites and I don't want to think how busy it will really get. When I leave the house, Veronica is waiting for me outside. She smiles, looking happier than usual. I am glad that I don't have to see Adam today as he probably would spoil my mood. Veronica is wearing a long, navy vintage dress. She has pinned her brown hair together. I smile and whisper to her to visit me later in the evening. Emma and Claire have already left the house and I spot a few other Sprites near the house, and as I expected they are all looking directly at me, especially after I exchanged a few words with Veronica. My street is quite busy. Thick grey clouds are cluttering the sky. I want to tell Veronica about the other fairy tale that I found in my pocket, but I don't want to bring unnecessary attention to myself on the street, so I decide to discuss this with her later on in the evening.