Title XVII. Extra-contractual Obligations

Title XVII. - EXTRA-CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS 

CHAPTER 1 QUASI-CONTRACTS 
Art. 2142. Certain lawful, voluntary and unilateral acts give rise to the juridical relation of quasi-contract to the end that no one shall be unjustly enriched or benefited at the expense of another. (n)

Art. 2143. The provisions for quasi-contracts in this Chapter do not exclude other quasi-contracts which may come within the purview of the preceding article. (n)

SECTION 1. - Negotiorum Gestio 
Art. 2144. Whoever voluntarily takes charge of the agency or management of the business or property of another, without any power from the latter, is obliged to continue the same until the termination of the affair and its incidents, or to require the person concerned to substitute him, if the owner is in a position to do so. This juridical relation does not arise in either of these instances: (1) When the property or business is not neglected or abandoned;

(2) If in fact the manager has been tacitly authorized by the owner.

In the first case, the provisions of Articles 1317, 1403, No. 1, and 1404 regarding unauthorized contracts shall govern.

In the second case, the rules on agency in Title X of this Book shall be applicable. (1888a)

Art. 2145. The officious manager shall perform his duties with all the diligence of a good father of a family, and pay the damages which through his fault or negligence may be suffered by the owner of the property or business under management.

The courts may, however, increase or moderate the indemnity according to the circumstances of each case. (1889a)

Art. 2146. If the officious manager delegates to another person all or some of his duties, he shall be liable for the acts of the delegate, without prejudice to the direct obligation of the latter toward the owner of the business.

The responsibility of two or more officious managers shall be solidary, unless the management was assumed to save the thing or business from imminent danger. (1890a)

Art. 2147. The officious manager shall be liable for any fortuitous event:

(1) If he undertakes risky operations which the owner was not accustomed to embark upon;

(2) If he has preferred his own interest to that of the owner;

(3) If he fails to return the property or business after demand by the owner;

(4) If he assumed the management in bad faith. (1891a)

Art. 2148. Except when the management was assumed to save property or business from imminent danger, the officious manager shall be liable for fortuitous events: (1) If he is manifestly unfit to carry on the management;

(2) If by his intervention he prevented a more competent person from taking up the management. (n)

Art. 2149. The ratification of the management by the owner of the business produces the effects of an express agency, even if the business may not have been successful. (1892a)

Art. 2150. Although the officious management may not have been expressly ratified, the owner of the property or business who enjoys the advantages of the same shall be liable for obligations incurred in his interest, and shall reimburse the officious manager for the necessary and useful expenses and for the damages which the latter may have suffered in the performance of his duties.