"What was she like when she came here?" Charles smiled fondly like he was watching the memory over in his head.

"She always had her nose in a book," Charles reminisced, "It took some convincing on my part to get her out of them once in a while. She was also a little aloof and didn't seem to like anyone."

"She seems to like you," Liana sighed, putting the book back. Charles gave her an confused look.

"What gives you that impression?"

"I don't know," Liana shrugged. "I just heard."

"Huh."

"Huh what?" Liana asked.

"Nothing," Charles said, waving her off. "I just figured something out, that's all." Liana hummed in skepticism.

"How do you even know so much about Aunt Darcy anyway?" Liana asked before nudging Charles. "Snooping in the affairs of the head of the household?"

"No, she actually told me this." Liana's eyes widen.

"What? No, she didn't." That didn't seem like Aunt Darcy. Why would she tell any personal information to anyone, especially a servant? Charles shook his head.

"She did. She trusts me, though I doubt she'll appreciate me telling you anything about her."

"Yet she didn't tell you about what happened between her and my mother?" Liana winced at the way the statement came out. She didn't mean to say it like that.

"Madame Atkins very seldom mentioned your mother and when she did, it was something negative." Liana clenched her fist at this. Charles sighed. "She complains about me acting like a child but when you get to know her, you realize that her mentality is still very child-like, but trapped in a somber adult. If you appeal to the child, you find that she's not that bad." Liana heard what he said but still lingered on the fact that Aunt Darcy always said something negative about her mother.

"Thanks for the advice, Charles." Liana lingered in the library long after Charles left. Aunt Darcy did indeed have a lot of books but a lot of them weren't light literature. There were very few novels and even fewer short stories, the bulk of the books were textbooks. A lot of books had terms that Liana didn't understand so she didn't bother trying to read them. After a few minutes of skimming, she returned all the books she pulled out back to their place.

Dinner began as another silent affair. Liana was still a little irked about Aunt Darcy's attitude towards her mother. This made her wonder even more what happened between her and Liana's mother.

"What is it, Liana?" Aunt Darcy asked in an annoyed tone.

"Excuse me?"

"You've been staring at me for a few minutes now," Aunt Darcy pointed out before eating a forkful of food. "Is something the matter?"

"My mother never told me that I had an aunt," Liana sighed, "which led me to believe that something happened between you two."

"Nothing happened that you should be concerned about," Aunt Darcy said, sipping her tea. Liana was not at all satisfied with this answer.

"What do you mean? I'm not a child and I think I deserve to know."

"No," Aunt Darcy argued, "it doesn't really affect anything involving you so it shouldn't matter."

"But it does matter! Why do you not like my mother? What did you do to her?" Aunt Darcy paused the silverware going to her mouth then placed it onto the plate.

"What makes you think it was me?" Aunt Darcy asked in an uncomfortably calm voice. Liana suddenly became nervous, losing any confidence she had.

"I..."

"What makes you think..." Aunt Darcy began as she stood up from her chair, "...that I caused the problem I have with your mother? Did it even cross your mind that maybe your innocent mother cause this? I know she's your mother but that is no reason to forget that people can make stupidly selfish mistakes."

"I--" Liana tried but Aunt Darcy was already in her rant.

"I don't like your mother and I have my reasons for it and I don't have to tell you why. You may not be a child but that does not give you a reason to be in my business. Stay in your place and leave me alone." Liana felt the tears trying to force themselves through but she held them.

"You're not my mother!" Liana yelled at her. "You will never be my mother! You can't tell me what to do like you are! How can I not believe that you caused problems between my mother and you? You barely even talk to me and when you do, it's to tell me what to do and what I could do!"

"Don't lie, you little brat!" Aunt Darcy snarled back, "I tried my best to be hospitable to you but obviously that's not good enough! I'm sorry I'm not your parents and I don't want to be them so stop comparing me to them!" Liana already had tears running down her face as she fumed in anger.

"I don't want to be here!" she screamed. "I want to go home! I want my mother! I want my father! I can't take it here!"

"Then leave!" Then dining room fell silent. Liana then took a deep breath and stormed out of the room. Aunt Darcy fell into her chair and sat there silently.

Liana slammed her bedroom door. She was furious. How dare Aunt Darcy say those things to her? So had no right to say those things to her. Liana's head throbbed in anger. Then she glanced over to her ice skates. She did need to let some stream before she did anything rash. She wiped her tears, grabbed the skates, and ran out of the house.

It was well into the evening but because there was still some snow on the ground, the full moon illuminated the frozen lake and its surroundings. Liana put her skates on then slid onto the lake. She skated around the lake as she began to drift into her thought. She really miss her parents. She loved so much, only for them to leave her with this woman who seems to be wrapped in herself. Liana wanted to remain neutral towards her aunt but now she knows that can't happen. Liana skated around more then looked up the full moon. It was beautiful. It made the frozen lake look almost magical. Then she remembered when her parents said they would take her ice skating.

"When can we go ice skating?"

"When we return from America, dear," her father sighed.

"And when we find a lake," her mother added, adjusting her father's tie.

"Why can't I go with you?" Liana asked.

"We thought about it, dear," her mother explained, "but we won't have enough time to sightsee. We're very busy the whole time."

"I don't even think we'll have time to sleep," her father joked then kissed Liana on the forehead. "We'll be back soon."

"Okay," Liana sighed in defeat.

Liana felt her tears dampen her cheeks. If only she knew, she would have stopped them. She didn't even say goodbye. Liana looked up to moon and sobbed. However, over her cries, Liana didn't hear the ice cracking beneath her feet and soon took a plunge in the icy lake.