2. The Psychiatrist

Nearly eight years had passed since the Harpers adopted Calen and moved to England. They all settled comfortably into the old two-story Tudor home that's been in George's family for generations. The happy family photographs that lined the staircase highlighted how much time had gone by.

George had established himself securely as head of the physics department at the university. Allison became a stay-at-home mother and took care of Calen and Joseph with the help of George's mother, Nana. They raised the boys like brothers and they were inseparable. Joseph, who was four years older than Calen, was very protective of his younger cousin.

Calen was growing into a fine looking boy. He had long thick brown shaggy hair and his big brown doe-eyes, sparkled with innocence and curiosity. He was soft-spoken and had a habit of pausing before answering a question so as not to interrupt the questioner. He had an infectious smile and carried himself with humility and kindness. However, his gentle spirit and kind heart didn't help with his grades, as he was barely an average student. Allison strongly believed the medication that he's been taking, since the age of one, was impeding his true potential.

Early one Sunday morning, two weeks after Calen's eighth birthday, Allison woke up to the faint sound of classical piano music. She looked over and noticed her alarm radio was off as George snored away. Curious to know where the music was coming from, she gingerly got out of bed, put on her robe and walked throughout the house. When she walked downstairs and came to the den, she covered her mouth and gasped in shock. She stood in the entranceway in silent amazement as she watched her son play the piano like Mozart.

"Good morning, Mummy," said Calen as he continued playing the piano. Allison didn't know what to say. A few moments later, Calen finished, turned around and smiled at his mother. "Did you like it, Mum?"

Allison slowly moved her hands away from her mouth. "That was 'Canon in C'-my favorite."

"I know, Mum, you've been playing Johann Pachelbel's CD in the car since I was a baby."

"Honey, that was ... remarkable. I didn't even know you knew how to play the piano. How long has this been going on?"

He turned, looked at the clock and casually said, "Um ... since seven."

"Honey, you've been playing since you were seven years old-one year-and you never told me? Does anyone else know?"

"No, Mum, you misunderstood. I meant I've been playing since seven o'clock this morning. Before that I've never touched the piano."

She glanced at the clock then smiled. "You're telling me you learned how to play the piano perfectly-like a concert pianist-fifteen minutes ago?" Calen nodded. She then walked over, sat next to her son on the bench, and placed her arm around him. With a nurturing smile she said, "No, honey, that's not possible."

"But, Mum-"

"Honey," she interrupted, "I understand that you kept it a secret for fear of the other kids ridiculing you, especially after what Joseph went through when he took flute lessons two years ago. But, this is different-you're really good-a prodigy maybe-you have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. But how did you do this without anyone knowing?"

"Mum, I'm not embarrassed-I did just learn how to play the piano."

"Fine ... you don't want to tell me-I'll let this one go. But, remember that we're your family and we love you so much. We'll support you no matter what you do. Do you understand that?" Calen gave up trying to convince her and just nodded. "Honey, you're good-very good," she said smiling with joy. "What other songs can you play?"

"I'm not sure yet-I think all of them-"

"You're so funny," she said excitedly not realizing her son was being serious. "Ok, you can surprise us later. Right now, I want to wake your father-he'll never believe this." She jumped up like a rabbit, kissed Calen's forehead then ran off to wake George.

Calen Harper: Purgatoryजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें