Prologue

Hello everyone! This is my first time publishing fanfiction online, that's why the first part is a bit shorter than I intend other to be. I really hope you like it, comment and let me know what you think !

***

"Calista!" shouted my father, Laureano Torres. 

He was standing far away, waiting for me to get back into his sight. We're walking around Havana's marketplace and my attention was drawn by the local tailor's makings. I looked into direction my father was standing.

"I'm coming, father!" I sighed and made my way towards him.

He never lets me to go out of the house alone. Even if I ask for the guard's presence, he still says no most of the time, and when he says yes, he makes El Tiburon, his strongest guard, accompany me. I understand that he cares about me, but he's too overprotective, too suffocating. 

Well, maybe there's a reason for this. 

My father is the governor of Havana and he fears that someone might hurt me because of that. That's why I have spent most of my life in my chambers, looking out from the window at the rose garden, sewing and reading books.

"What caught your attention, dear?" Father asked me when I was by his side again.

"It's nothing." I muttered, giving him a smile.

He looked at me with the look that intimidates me, though it contained a smile. Still, I knew compulsion hides behind it.

"J-just some dresses."

"I can buy you every last one of them, you do know that?" he slowed down his walking pace, ready to go back and actually buy those dresses before I stopped him.

"No, father, that isn't necessary."

He gave me a loving smile.

"Just tell me if you want something, I will get it for you."

I smiled back to him and we continued our walk home. My father is a human being, of course, and he feels a bit guilty for making me stay in my chambers for the majority of my time. So, in order to soothe his own heart from the guilt, he buys me various posh dresses and other trinkets. They aren't wide, not like those caky dresses that most women of importance wear; I can't understand how they can walk in those cages. My dresses are long and flowy, mostly of soft pastel colors. 

Though my father treats me a lot, I didn't become spoiled, I fully understand that happiness doesn't linger in the material things. Thanks to the books I read, I can still think clear.

°°°

When we got back to our estate surrounded by guards, the first thing I did was run into the rose garden.

 I love roses very much, especially red ones, and if not in my chambers, here I spend my time. The smell of damp grass, moss, and roses calm me to the last bit, I forget everything that bothers me. Honestly, I could spend hours here, but after one or two father insists me to go back inside. I don't understand, guards are everywhere, it's not like someone would hide in the bushes and spy on me, or kill me. 

I sat on a bench and looked at the sunset with longing, though I didn't fully understand what was exactly that I longed for. 

Perhaps a loving touch, adventures, maybe even ... danger?