Part 3

Chapter 3

The night had been fun for Abby.  He did everything right.  The man danced with her, wonderfully might she add, and he brought her drinks and food.  She wouldn’t be surprised if the man was married already.  She watched as he walked back.  He didn’t have confidence in his stride, and she had to wonder about that.  What could cause the man to walk as if he was looking over his shoulder?

“Here is your drink,” he said while he thrust his hand out towards her.  The drink sloshed around and spilt around the edges. 

What she could see of his face quickly turned to dismay as he pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket.  Leaning forward, he dabbed the wine he had gotten on her arm off. “I am so sorry.”

She gave him a smile. “I think my hand can handle it.”

“Of course,” he mumbled with red tingeing his cheeks.

Realizing that she didn’t even know the man’s name, her cheeks to turn red with embarrassment. “I know you probably don’t know my name, but I’m Abby.”

“I know your name,” he whispered before speaking louder. “I’m Lance.  It’s really nice to meet you.”

“Are you married?” she blurted out.  Pulling her arm up, she covered her mouth.  She couldn’t believe that she just said that out loud.  The man probably thought she was a ditz.

He didn’t do what other men would have done, instead he let out a great, rumbling laugh. “No, I’m not married.  The right woman never noticed me.”

She scanned his body. “I definitely don’t get why someone wouldn’t notice you.  Not trying to be blunt, but your body is fantastic.  What I can see of your face is perfection too.”

The smile he had when she began talking dropped with her last sentence.  His face filled with sadness and loneliness.  Abby wanted to reach up and hug him, but she didn’t understand what was wrong.  Why was this man saddened by her words?

“Does someone have to be perfect to get noticed?” he asked with slight anger.

Her eyes widened in surprise. “No, they do not.  I was just giving you a compliment.”

“Damn, I’m sorry, Abby.  I shouldn’t have said that,” he told her while running his hand through his hair.

She shrugged. “Its fine.  That was definitely not the first time someone has snapped at me.”

Lance bit his lip and looked down on her.  That was one thing Abby liked, he was taller.  Another thing she liked was his eyes.  They sparkled with every word he said.  She knew that this man was compassionate.

“What would you like to do?  Dance again?” he asked her.

She looked out on the dance floor at the men and women.  Their clothing was pristine, making Abby feel out of place. “Why don’t we go somewhere and talk?”

He gave her a large smile and nodded. “I would love that.  Come on follow me.  We’ll grab some food while were out.”

Grabbing her hand, he began pulling her out the ballroom doors.  She followed behind him without second thought, but how did this man know where to go?  Opening her mouth, she voiced her question, “Lance?  Are you sure this is the right way?”

He threw a glance over his shoulder. “Of course I’m sure.  I live here.”

“What?” she questioned in shock as her feet planted firmly into the floor.

He tugged before realizing that she wasn’t going anywhere.  Turning, he frowned at her. “What’s wrong?”

“You live here?” she echoed.

He nodded his head. “Yeah, me and the staff.”

“You have a staff?” she asked overwhelmed.  She knew he had money, but did not realize the magnitude of it.  She didn’t judge people by how much money they had, but she knew that money could make a person turn bad.  She had never wanted the responsibility of being around that much money.

“Yes and a dog.  Look, I thought we were going to talk in the kitchen?”

She nodded. “Lead the way, sir.”

He gave her a tiny smile. “Yes, madam.”

With that, he turned once more and walked down the hall.  Excitement ran through her body.  She had a feeling that tonight would be a night she would never forget.