Seeing Gold Stars

Heres another assignment of mine, so here goes...

It was always like this at dinner; Nicole’s parents were showering a sickening amount of praise on her over-achieving sister.  Nicole’s eyes went stone-cold and her lips were pursed into a thin, firm line.  She quickly diverted her attention to the now cold lump of mashed potatoes sitting haphazardly on her plate.  Her sister was excitedly waving around a test which not only had “Great Job!” written in bold lettering, but also with a gold star sticker.  That gold star was a slap in the face to Nicole. The star was just staring her dead into the eye, taunting her, smirking at her.  Nicole slunk downwards into her chair; she felt the wood backing dig into her shoulder blades.  She desperately tried to recall a time when she had beaten her own sister at something. She came up with nothing.  Nicole would make the honor roll; her sister would make high honor roll. She would score a goal in her soccer game; her sister would become the captain of the high school team.  Her sister would always bring home the gold, while she struggled to get silver or even bronze.  Her sister was ingrained into her life like that gold star was plastered onto that perfect test.