Chapter One

A/N: Thanks a bunch to JazZo19 for helping me with the plot in this story and also helping me edit it!

Death Maze _ Chapter One _ No Going Home

I walk along the sidewalk that begins long past the area’s local shopping mall, and ends off in the middle of nowhere. Now, I just so happen to be lucky enough to live in that middle of nowhere.

Heavy sarcasm intended.

You see, when I was first born, my father -Alexander- left my mother. He was with her at the hospital, a very supportive man my mother would say. The reason why he left? My gender. He wanted a little boy. Not a girl. My mother, however, was as thrilled as could be. Later she found a note from my father, explaining why he couldn't be with her and that he was sorry. He's an asshole. That is why my mother chose to give me this God awful name, Alexis. How does all of that relate to where I live? Well, because my father left, we were put on welfare. My mother was unable to support me as a baby and handle a job. Now that I'm fifteen we're surviving better. Not the best, but, better.

My mother had sent me out to get groceries over two hours ago and now I'm finally close to home. It's quite a long walk. My house is just a little trailer in a small trailer park. One of the many in this lovely town of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. People don't know how lucky they really are when it comes to things like a place to live.

My feet make small thudding sounds on the sidewalk, matching my heart beat. It would be a nice thing to listen to, if my laboured breathing, moans, and groans weren't in the way. Carrying shopping bags miles from your grocery store isn't an easy thing to do.

I can feel my arms getting heavier and the handles of the carrier bags are slowly slipping from my sweaty palms. I can't take it anymore; the bags fall onto the ground with a soft thudding sound. I kneel down, the palms of my hands against my knees while panting hard. I give myself a few minutes to get my breath back.

I straighten up at the sound of an engine behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I see a rusty red car driving my way. Carefully, I begin to pile the bags onto my arms again.

In a second the vehicle zooms past me, shuffling dirt into the air. I cough viciously and wave my hands in front of my face, dropping all the bags in the process… again. Great, now the eggs are probably all cracked.

"Piece of shit." I mumble under my breath, bending over to tend to the groceries.

In front of me, the car comes to an abrupt halt. I look at the car confused, my head cocked to the side. The car backs up, and is soon idling beside me on the dirt road, the window on the driver's side rolled down.

"Hello, darling." Says a man -no more than twenty five years old- in a thick southern accent.

"Oh, hi." I manage to choke out.

This man before me is stunning. He has soft blue eyes and light blond hair that is messy, but in an appealing way. He has a sharp chin and a scrawny body. Hm... definitely my type of guy. Too bad, he seems too old.

"Are you deaf?" The man rolls his eyes. While he does this, he shrugs his shoulders, giving me the view of a tall, very built man beside him in the passenger seat. The second man shows no interest towards me at all. He just continues to keep his arms crossed over his chest.

"Hello? Are you deaf?"

"Oh, huh?" I ask, confused.

"I said my name is Jack, and this big guy over here is Neil. What's yours?" He says, for the second time. Now looking bored.

"Alexis." I say, confidently.

"Alexis... Very pretty. So, Alexis, it looks like you have a lot of groceries. Me and Neil here were just heading up past a little trailer park down the road, we could drop you off there if you like?" Jack's smile is almost too kind, but I just shrug and nod my head.

In a flash, Neil is beside me and carrying all of my shopping bags. He piles them all into the trunk of the car in one trip. I open the door to the backseat, it gives a squeak in response. I plop down onto the old, worn out seats. Red, just like the rest of the thing. I shuffle uncomfortably, and once Neil sits down in the passenger seat, I begin to look for a seat belt.

None. Oh well. The trailer park is about a twenty minute walk from here. We'll be there in around five minutes.

Boy, do those five minutes go fast.

I smile out the window as the parks gates come into view.

"You can just drop me off here, it's fine." I mumble happily.

Jack exchanges a look with Neil and the next thing I know, Neil is climbing in to the back seat with me. Not talking, just observing me as if I am some experiment. Jack revs the engine and we're flying past the trailer park. I gasp and turn around to stare out the back window of the car.

"Hey! Stop, where are you going?" I yell frantically.

Realisation clouds my thoughts and I'm soon banging my fists against the back window, the park now hiding behind trees.

"Stop! Stop this! Let me out, let me out!" I screech, tears streaming down my face. Right now, I'm just thinking about the worst.

Because of the way I'm turned in my seat, the left side of my head is facing Neil.

"Please! Just sto-" Pain makes itself known on the left side of my skull. Instinctively, I move my hand to touch the area where the pain is, but am quickly overwhelmed by exhaustion, and I find myself falling across the seat. My vision blurs, and the last thing I see before blacking out is a satisfied Neil throwing a metal object onto the floor, and climbing back into the front seat.