She glanced at the chirpy kids and at Varun, who remained silent, as they rode. This was better, she thought; better than him talking all that rubbish he had recently. She dozed off without her knowledge.

A sudden halt caused her to open her eyes. Even before she was awake, she had registered Varun watching her, his eyes fixed on her before looking away, making her bitter and uncomfortable with the knowledge. She rubbed her eyes and checked the time just when the driver announced that the bus would be halting for breakfast. The kids got down and ate heartily at the garden restaurant. She was about to pay the bill when Varun intervened and paid it. "I told you, Sandhya. This trip is on our party," he stated.

Sandhya reluctantly put the money back in her purse. Varun was being polite; he had not uttered a single inappropriate word so far. Why did it bother her that he was being nice?, she wondered.

Because it all seems like an act, her inner voice said.

Once the kids were back in the bus, Sandhya climbed up and settled on her seat. To her astonishment, she found Varun sitting beside her in a flash. It all happened so fast that she did not even know what to do. He looked ahead as if everything was normal. Her brow wrinkled with worry and discomfort; she did not want to create a scene with the kids and the driver around. He looked straight into her eyes with his steel gray eyes and an expression that made her freeze.

"Can't even tolerate me sitting beside you?" he uttered in a low, sarcastic tone that only she could hear.

"Glad that you know my feelings," she replied in an irritated low voice, while thinking of ways to move out of this trap. She could have shoved his hand away but that would mean that she would have to touch him. She gathered her dress closer and slid towards the window so she could be far from him. He responded by sitting more comfortably as he spread out his legs, his knee touching her thigh. Sandhya gritted her teeth as disgust crept over her.

"Why are you wearing those bangles? They don't match your dress," he said, looking at her wrists, his face not hiding his displeasure.

"I did not ask for your opinion," she responded acidly.

"I am giving my opinion," Varun responded and continued, "Tell me, babes, did lover boy give you those? Is that why you are wearing those cheap bangles?"

Sandhya's jaw tightened, but she remained silent. No matter what she said, it was obvious that he would infuriate her more with his responses. She suffered his presence for the remaining two hours until they reached their destination.

~

She waited in the lobby as Varun spoke to the person at the front desk, Ramu. They seemed to know each other from before as they spoke as friends. Ramu glanced at her and she stiffened. The look on his face was weird; it wasn't exactly lust but something similar that she did not like. Varun returned and gave her the room keys for the kids and her. She led the kids to their respective rooms and asked them to freshen up before they started their tour.

She finally walked to her room. Weirdly, her room was on a different floor altogether. Since she wanted to be close to the kids, she requested a different room from Ramu, but he refused, stating that all the rest of the rooms were booked and he couldn't do anything. Sandhya reluctantly returned to her room and freshened up. They all started their tour with Ramu, who also happened to be the tour guide. They stopped at a breathtaking tea garden where Ramu took pictures on Varun's camera. Thankfully, Varun said he had some work and left them on their own. Sandhya relaxed in the chilly air as she watched the joyful faces of the kids and the scenic beauty around her.

In the evening, they all headed towards the lake for boating. She sat on the edge of the lake as the kids rowed their boats. The magnificent view of the sun setting by the lake overwhelmed her with memories of Akash. She stood up, closed her eyes and recalled her first trip with Akash on the mountaintop. A smile crept onto her face as she sensed his presence; he was right there, somewhere close to her.

The Independent Girl (Sample)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें