Sunrise - Adrienne

Adrienne

Things are peaceful at night. It’s strange; if I look at the sky, the rustling of the trees could be the waves back home. It’s not that much colder. The stars aren’t that much different either. I lean back, feeling the cold Cornucopia against my shoulder blades. The point stretches over me, gesturing to the horizon. I can trace the glittering patterns, various sea-beasts – that don’t exist, as I’m always telling Crispin – fish and boats with sails hoisted high, sailing the velvet sky. The moon washes everything in delicate silver.

It must be getting towards morning because vague orange threads are starting to weave through the dark out to my left. Not time to wake the others up yet. I must have been out here for three hours, at least, but I don’t feel in the least bit uncomfortable and from up here it’s almost impossible for anybody to sneak up on me.

Luxury and Diamond aren’t even arguing. That’s probably because they’re asleep. At least, last time I checked they were asleep. I wouldn’t put it past Luxury to stab Diamond in her sleep, and I don’t doubt that she’s got the ability to do it silently.

I shuffle forwards and lean over the rim of the Cornucopia to check that Crispin is still alive and still sleeping. Diamond and Luxury are huddled at opposite sides of the rim, right where they act as alerts; if somebody attacks and attacks them first, the noise will be enough to give the rest of us chance to arm up, and then maybe we’d be able to get some peace during the day. It’s funny, but they both sleep in the exact same position, knees pressed to their chests, heads tilted to the right. I suppress a small chuckle; they’d never admit it but they’re so alike that they could be sisters. I prefer Luxury, though. She had the guts to volunteer. She’s the one who got through the Tournament, the one who wanted it more. Diamond is just an elaborate tag-along. A good one, but still second best.

Both of them have weapons nearby but the blood on them is dry. I breathe out a small sigh of relief before I’d even realised I was holding my breath. A small weight flutters away from my heart.

Still, I check the rest of the upside-down picture in front of me. Huddled behind a selection of cardboard boxes containing the packets of food that we collected earlier, Claymore is asleep with his mouth hanging open, snoring a little. I note that; it might be useful if we ever split. Portia leans on his knees. She’s asleep or looking at the floor, I can’t tell. Either way, she’s clutching an elegant blade in her hand. She’s an odd one. Claymore told us her story, in-between threatening to dismember anybody who so much as attempts to attack her. We didn’t pay too much attention to the threats; Lux and I agree that we could both take Claymore on, if we needed to. The bottom line is that Portia trained to be a Peacekeeper, so I don't want to risk her bad side. No enemy should be underestimated, anyway.

 Behind their little fort of boxes, Venus and Chase are dozing, resting back-to-back. Convenient if they’re attacked, though in the shell of the Cornucopia it just serves to show just how short Venus is. Her mouth is moving, talking to herself again even though she’s asleep, the gentle muttering bubbling behind Claymore’s snoring. I can’t tell what she’s saying, but it’s probably just needless babble, like almost everything else she’s said. How did she get through her Reaping Tournament?

That’s a good idea; Four should adopt that. It would stop our name being muddied by weaklings. We’re as much Careers as One and Two, or we should be anyway. I’m not belittling Elton, but there’s so many who would stand more of a chance than him. After this Games, nobody but his family will remember him.

Chase doesn’t look any less thuggish asleep, his squashed face frowning with some unpleasant dream. The pair of them are close, that’s obvious, but unless there’s some deep hidden bond they’re not as close as Crispin and I. Somewhere in Venus’ ramblings I think she’s mentioned at least two siblings, but it’s hard to tell when you don’t really listen. And they probably haven’t trained or worked together. They present themselves well, though Venus tends to twitch at all the wrong moments, and with their blonde looks and sharp eyes they’re not bad looking, especially not in Two. They’re an extra layer of protection, they’re not bad people and I hope that their deaths are painless and that they die together. But I barely even glance at them.