Raining Cats and...Man?

Don't puke. Don't puke. Don't puke.

I shoveled out more maneuver, scrunching up my face as the smell hit me full on. Why am I digging out cow shit again? Oh yeah, because of my mother.

"Andy! For God sake, can you go any slower?" Aunt Julie stood next to the horses as she fed them corn.

Just thinking about corn is making my poor belly growl in hunger. What I would do for food right now. My hunger stopped as I accidentally inhale the smell, making me want to vomit all over again.

Before she would yell about my lack of muscles anymore I went back to cleaning out the poop.

I should've worked at Starbucks.

I still recall the conversation my mother and I had a couple of weeks ago.

I was laying on the couch, minding my own business, when my mother stood up abruptly and slammed her fist against the table. "I have an idea."

Eyes firmly closed I rolled over on my side, trying to find a comfortable position on our lumpy couch. "That's never good."

I heard shuffling before opening my eyes to see mother in front of me with her arms cross and a glare directed toward me. It wasn't until she had a mischievous smile on her lips was I scared.

"You're getting a job." A triumphant smile bloomed on her face.

"Okay." I closed my eyes again and tried to go back to sleep.

"You'll be helping out at Aunt Julie's farm." With those simple words, I shot up and gave my mother a horrified look.

"Mother, are you trying to kill me?" Aunt Julie is a, well, she's not the type to bake cookies and give out money just because you came to visit.

"And for free." She went back to the kitchen, oblivious to her daughter's pain.

"You're practically pulling the trigger. Why do you hate me so much, mother?" Maybe I am over exaggerating just a little, but it's aunt Julie that were talking about. And you don't mess with aunt Julie.

"Andy! This whole summer and the only useful thing you did was babysit the neighbor's children. And even that turned out disastrous! They still give us dirty looks when I throw away the trash!" She yelled as she swiftly put away the clean dishes into the cabinets.

"Okay, so maybe letting them roll a trash can down the stairs with them in it wasn't such a good idea, but it's not like there dead." I reasoned.

She looked back at me with an incredulous look. "They were in the hospital. One broked his arm and the other sprained her ankle."

I slightly winced as I remember how angry the parents were when they saw their kids in hospital beds.

As you can guess, they didn't pay me for babysitting.

A week after that, it was final. I said my goodbyes to my parents and friends and was off. Since aunt Julie's farm was only a couple of hours away I rode the bus, something I'm use to.

And here I am a month later, smelling like shit while staying out in the sun for 12 hours. What a way to spend my summer.

After putting away the shovel inside the barn, aunt Julie called out me name, making me halt. "You have 20 minutes to get washed up while I prepare dinner. If your a minute late, I'll feed your food to the dogs."

Knowing she's not bluffy, I ran up the stair and quickly striped out of my clothes while hopping inside the shower.

Three more weeks. Then it'll be all over and I'll be back home. I've been counting the days until I'll leave since I've first arrived.

My parents haven't even called me once since I've came, not even to see if I have arrived safely. It's like they've forgotten about me. There only daughter.

I turned off the water and grabbed my towel, drying myself off before getting dress. Making my way downstairs fully dressed, I smelled the delicious aroma that filled the air. One thing that I'll miss would be the food, that's for sure.

I headed toward the kitchen to see the table mounted with food. Aunt Julie was already seated, her head bent down and eyes closed as she prayed.

I quietly pulled the chair opposite from hers and sat down. After a while she looked up and open her eyes before grabbing her fork and knife, cutting her steak. Seeing that she was done praying, I started eating away the delicious meal.

Aunt Julie wasn't always a cruel and unfair women, surprisingly she use to be a fairly nice lady. That is, until her 8 year old son and husband died in a house fire. Before she had a farm, she worked as a secretary for a popular company. She was at a meeting when it happened. The father and son burned to death before the firemen were able to save them. Since I was just a kid when mother told me, I didn't know how it happened, and I still don't know.

After all the shit she's been through and was thrown to her face, I understand why she is like the way she is.

"Get to bed, I'll do the dishes." She dropped all the dishes in the sink as she grabbed the sponge.

And sometimes, she could be tolerable.

Seeing that I still haven't moved she dropped the sponge and turned toward me. "Do I need to repeat myself?"

Sometimes.

I heaved myself up the stairs, hearing the pouring rain pounding on the roof. Opening the door to my room, I closed it with an audible click before climbing into bed. Finally. A sigh of constant left my mouth as darkness took over.

A loud noise startled me, sleep leaving my body and fear taking over. I turned on my lamp, only to see a boy's face a few inches away from mine. In shock I accidentally bumped my head against his, causing pain to my poor forehead.

I wanted to scream, to tell this strange man to leave, but I couldn't. I was to shock to do anything but stand still. Not because he is in my room, or on my bed a foot away from me, but because of his eyes.

Curious purple eyes looked back at me, head tilted to the side. I soon realised that he was getting closer, so close that our nose were practically touching.

Just when the distance was about to close between us, I finally grab the closest book on the light stand I was reaching for and hit it across the stranger's head.

I just hit a man who sneaked inside my room and tried to kiss me in the head with a Pride and Prejudice book. I guess there is a first for everything.