One + CAST

I'M A MONSTER. Camp Haven made me this way, because I know deep down in the depths of whatever resembles a heart left inside me that I never was cruel. And now my new instinct is to kill without thinking twice. What kind of sick world am I living in now?

All the squads at Wright-Patterson knew that someone went "Dorothy" and was removed the next day. He was going to be replaced, no doubt. We just didn't think it would be someone who was already in training. We definitely didn't think it would come from our squad, either.

Now I wake up to an empty bottom bunk beside mine two days after receiving the announcement. Ringer used to sleep there. She helped get us to second place, and we were going to graduate within the week, no doubt. But she's officially gone, and our squad isn't so sure anymore.

I'm not the first to wake up. Pluto is sitting on the top bunk, his legs hanging off the bed just so I can see his feet. I stand up slowly and see he's extremely angry. "She took her stuff, Red."

"Yes, she did," I tell him. "Reznik announced she'd move out loud two days ago."

"I didn't really think it was gonna happen so soon," his voice is barely above a whisper.

"With her, we were second in, like, everything. They're putting the best into the worst group," Stiletto pipes up, shrugging off her covers. It's like she can hear everything.

"Oh yeah? And which squad is the worst in shooting?" I fold my arms across my chest. It feels weird asking questions to someone younger than you.

She rolls her eyes and falls back on her bed. "Squad 53. They suck so much ass, mainly since the leader is absolute crap at aim. Ringer's gonna fix 'em up straight, and we'll be fine without her."

Dot wakes up, a mess of messy blond curls sprawled all over his face. "We got seven... Sh'be nuff. Others have six people."

Stiletto turns to me. Her face is full of curiosity. "What if she wanted to... You know... Switch squads?"

I shake my head in disbelief. "No way. She loved us. I know this was completely against her will."

"But what if? You're pretty much the only one she half listens to, since you're kinda like second in command. Just talk to her or something. Ask her why."

"Stil, I thought I made it pretty clear that Reznik announced Ringer was moving to 53. She would have told us if it was her choice to go."

Stiletto frowns. "I'm just saying. She barely said a word to us in her last two days. Seems a little fishy. Even though we are one of the best teams."

Great. Now the stupid fourteen year old has a point. "Listen, Stil. If it makes you happy, I'll talk to her about it. And if she did have to do it on Vosch's orders, I'm giving you a week's half rations."

"You're not the leader, Ringer was," Dot says most unhelpfully.

"When Reznik comes, we'll see who's the leader, Stil," I tell her, hoping to sound menacing enough.

"Musket's got a good rep. Maybe he'll be a good leader. So don't threaten me with punishments only a leader can give out," she rebuts. Damn, she's good.

Pluto wipes his nose and falls down on the floor. It doesn't faze us; he's done it more times than we care to count. When he stands, he takes a big sigh, one louder and heavier than mine during Finals week. "Well, I'm really gonna miss her rifle." Pluto used to watch in awe as she cleaned it to a high shine every night. Stiletto probably missed it too, though she doesn't want to admit it. That's one flaw of hers; she's too proud.

Dot is about the same age as Pluto, but nearly twice his size in weight, physique, and hair. He's the most recent recruit in our squad but a good shot and pretty good at throwing knives. I'm not sure why Reznik even named him Dot.