Chapter 2: The Dead's Secret

The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart.
-St. Jerome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they walked through the hallway towards the office, Juliana was whispering something into Diane's ear."Come on, let's run. We will get into trouble."But all the whispering was useless, only tickled her ear.

"No! And quit whispering would you?" Diane demanded, flushed with anger and reminded her the school's motto, speaking in French, "Simple dans ma virtue. Forte dans mon devoir. "

"Whatever!" Juliana said waving Diane off with her other free hand."Rules are made to be broken."

"If it is made for such purposes, the world would be turned upside down. None of us would have a purpose to respect each other."

"Pffft! This will only lead us into trouble."

"Jul, I know what I am doing. None of us would want to get into trouble. Its either we finish this quick by just sending him into the office or he tries to kidnap us and what-so-ever. Neither of us wants that. If we send him there first, who knows maybe Mrs.Katrina would send him away. Without the visitor's pass, he is actually not allow to come in and I can't just ask an armed person to get out. He would slaughter me," explained Diane.

"What makes you so sure Mrs.Katrina would want to send him away. He could just slaughter her and take us away with him."

"Juliana, trust me," Diane whispered and said to Kevin,"Sir, this is the headmistress' office." Again, she was calling him "Sir", must be a habit, she thought as a grin spread across her face.They knocked the door and waited. Oh no, please not be around. Please not be around. I don't want to get grounded so please not be arou-

The door of the office was opened. Why must she be around! The headmistress beckoned them three inside and closed the door abruptly, with a shocked expression on her face after she sees Kevin.

"Kevin! What are you doing here?"

"I was hunting and these two -" he said, jerking his head at them,"saw what happened. I was wondering how was that possible that they could see me?"

"Maybe it could be a mistake. Maybe you didn't put on the gla-"she stuttered. Juliana and Diane stood there like statues, not knowing what they were talking about.

"I had glamoured myself," he said."They could see the demon as well.The Runes are applied before I go hunting. How could they see me if -"

"Unless -" Mrs Katrina said and shuddered, "Unless they are born as mundanes with the Sight or they are -" "Shadowhunters ?"

It was an eerie silence then . When suddenly Diane said, both hands on her waist like an angry mother,"Someone care to explain what is going on here? What - what on earth are you talking about? I am not a hunter neither does Juliana. I don't hunt animals or weird creepy black people. I AM A STUDENT!"

Diane! Why did you say that that way! You should not say a word to the headmistress! We are sooo... in trouble right now! Juliana tensed, wanting to say it but the words never come out. But then ...

"Umm, how do I explain this..." the headmistress said, her expression with horror and guilt .

"You two are no ordinary people," Kevin blurted out."You are born with the Sight as shadowhunters."

"You hunt shadows?" Juliana asked, curious. She arched an eyebrow at him. Maybe this is a dream. Or they were speaking of nonsense. Or this is real...

"Erh, not exactly. Shadowhunters are human-angel hybrids that protects the world from the devils or demons, keeping the world safe. In short, we get rid of evil to save mankind. Of course, there are other species living in the Shadow World as well. For example there are faeries, vampires, warlocks, werewolves and there are lots more."

For real?

"Interesting -" Diane said."Do vampires glow under the sun? What is a warlock?"

"Vampires do not glow, they turn to dust under the sun. They are much active during the night than the day. And warlocks are beings that performs magic. They are the offspring of demons and human."

"Are these species dangerous? Like are they a harm against humans like demons?"

"No.Only if they broke the Accords and becomes rogue. For an instance, if a vampire is unable to control bloodthirst and starts consuming humans, we shadowhunters would have to end their lives. Years ago, the shadowhunters made a truce with this beings. A society for these four categories were made and called Downworlders. Not all of this mythical creatures are dangerous though. In fact, Mrs.Katrina here is a werewolf," he said, jabbing his fingers at their headmistress.

"You seriously are a werewolf?" Juliana said, glancing at Mrs.Katrina.

"Yes, it is true."

"Can you change into a werewolf now? Turn wolfie?"Diane said, her eyes sparkled.

"Woah, woah! Hold right there, little girl! No asking people to shapeshift now! You shall learn about it when you return. Of course, it will happen only after the Clave investigates about this matter. And declares you as a shadowhunter."

"Return where?"

"The Institute, of course, " he enlightened them. "Its a place where shadowhunters live on earth except for Idris. Every city or country would have one. There is one in Beijing, London, New York, Miami, Bueno Aires and lots more. Idris is the shadowhunters' home country. Most said that the Council of our kind started there." Juliana now realised how young he was. His dark hair was tousled, his eyes were not black but sea-gray and he looked like in his twenties."Now you two should wait outside. I have to speak to Katrina for a minute."They nodded and left the room obediently.

Thank God, that was over. She felt so relieved, then she thought: what are they discussing about? Must this be so private?

Kevin walked out a while later, joining them at the balcony. "I've made arrangements with Katrina and she allows me to train you during the summer holidays. All I require now is your address."

Diane reached into her pocket and took a tiny notebook - the size of her palm - out, tearing a piece of paper. She clicked her pen and jotted down the address. Then she clicked her pen again, handing the scribbled note to him, as she said, "Do I have to bring my annoying sister along?"

"Yes, that would be great!" he said, "I shall meet you at the park then. Ev'ry afternoon." He left without glancing back at them.

"Did he call me 'little girl' in there just now?" Diane asked. Juliana could not help it but grinned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~