The Day James and Lily Potter Died

James and Lily's Death.

James' eyes snapped open and immediately reached over for Lily. Her warmth was absent from the bed. James' immediate reaction was to scream her name but he knew that if someone was in the house that would only bring the attention to the cot next to their bed. He grabbed his glasses and hastily pushed them onto his face. His wand still in his jeans that he wore yesterday, he shoved them on and pulled out his wand.

"I'm coming Lily.” He whispered, hardly daring to make a sound. He opened the door and slipped down the carpeted staircase, avoiding the last three creaky steps by jumping, all the while imagining the worst case scenario.

His nightmares came to life as he saw his one and only, limp in a Death Eaters arms, Voldemort pointing his wand at her unconscious face, Lucius Malfoy stood in the shadows with his Death Eaters mask on.

“James Potter how lovely to see you.” Voldemort's ugly, snake-like features distorted into something almost similar to a smile. “Your wife was just about to tell us where you kept your son before she collapsed.” At the word son, Lily's eyes popped open.

“James, don't tell him!”

“Your choice Potter, your wife or your- ” Lucius started to speak before being cut off by Voldemort.

“I can handle this Malfoy!”

“You'll leave us alone and never disturb us again if I tell you where he is?”

“I give you my word as Dark Lord.”

“DON'T TELL HIM!” Lily's shrieks pierced through James, each syllable of her pain shattering his heart even more.

“His room, go into the kitchen and up the stairs.” James' exhausted voice filled the now silent room.

“JAMES! You idiot, I’ll never forgive you!” said Lily, catching onto his lie. Lucius pushed Lily to the ground as he and Voldemort glided out the room.

“Hurry my love, go upstairs and get away with Harry. I’ll stop him.”

“We both know you won't last five minutes.” Lily now was also torn.

“If it will give you more time then I’m willing to die, now go hurry!” Lily leant in to kiss James, he tasted of passion and a sense of finality. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” The moment of star-crossed love was over. Lily needed to go.

“Hurry now.” James turned her around and gave her a small push up the stairs, “save our baby.” Lily stumbled up the stairs, her mind occupied only with thoughts of keeping her baby safe.

James could hear Voldemort's heavy footsteps angrily reverberating through the house as he stormed down the kitchen stairs. “LIAR! CRUCIO!” Voldemort's wand erupted bright red sparks that seemed to electrocute James. A slight smell of burned pancakes permeated the air as James writhed around on the ground.

Lily could hear her beloved's groans and for a second, her resolve faltered, then she realised that if she went down too then they would both be dead, leaving Harry defenceless and without protection.

“TELL ME WHERE HE IS!” Voldemort's cry would've echoed through the whole of Godric's Hollow if it wasn't for the Muffliato charm they'd cast when they arrived.

“Never.” James forced out the word through gritted teeth.

“Then I shall have to kill you, AVADA KEDAVRA!” The noise, although none of the neighbours could hear it, vibrated through the walls of the small house. A muffled sound replied, a baby's cry.

Lily fell to her knees when she heard Voldemort say those two dreaded words. She felt, deep in her heart, that her best friend and lover had died. She cradled Harry in her arms, trying to console him. Harry! She then realised the purpose of his death. She couldn't let her James die in vain, James had died to let her and their son survive.

She could hear Voldemort's murderous footsteps taunting her as he came up the stairs. She searched for her wand.

“Looking for this?” Voldemort leaning against the door frame, dangling her wand in between his forefinger and thumb. Lily put Harry into his cot and gave him a kiss on the forehead, “Mummy will handle this, baby mine.”

“You do realise that I’m going to kill you and then him.”

“Take my life, but please, spare his, he's only a year old! He can't even talk yet!”

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” And with that, the life was sucked out of Lily.

“MUMMYYYY!!!!!!!!!!” Harry's first word mingled with the salty tears on his cheeks.

“Someone's about to die!” Voldemort said as he advanced menacingly upon the small boy.

“No.” Harry's small voice quivered in fear.

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” The green light reached Harry and he felt a small tingling sensation before the entire house blew up, shattering all the protective charms encasing their home.

An hour later, after re-awakening from being knocked- out, Harry's eyes opened. He recognised the door from his visit. It was his aunt's house. The door opened and a sharp face stared out.