Part 12 - Chapter 11

11

The rest of that evening and the next morning, Beverly and I set up a bedroom across the hall from mine. It wasn't beautiful yet but Andy wouldn't notice. Fitch was coming by at one, so I had to fit in my run and a shower before he got here.

I threw on my shorts and favorite t-shirt with the fading "Madison Moose". It was Nick's before he outgrew it, and it always traveled with me. I quickly tied up my hair and snuck out of the house before Nana noticed. The air was thicker this late in the morning than the cool nights I was used to.

I thought I should make up for yesterday's lost effort and added a short route through town before heading to the cliff-face with the view. I made my way down the beach and up through the woods as usual, now feeling eager to reach the clearing. It was easier to breathe there, and I was going to need all the oxygen I could get if I planned to spend any significant amount of time with Fitch...or Haven and Georgia. I was running faster than normal, not paying attention to the few people I passed.

When at last I saw the cliff through the thinning trees I began to relax, slowing my pace. I approached the level area, and could see the horizon over the water ahead of me. But before I quite focused on the scenery, I realized the view I expected was obstructed by the shape of a man sitting on the large rock near the edge. As I drew closer, I could see he faced away from me, bent down looking at the ground rather than at the water as would have been natural. My feeling of disappointment at not being alone was suppressed only by concern that someone had been hurt.

"Hello?" I tried to make my voice quiet so I wouldn't startle him, but instead just sounded winded from my uphill run. "Do you need help?" Before I even finished the question I recognized I was speaking to Haven. His face and figure were unmistakable. Our eyes connected, and I could feel the surprise and confusion in my expression.

"Hello, you." he responded, "No help needed. Well, none that you could presently provide anyway." He smiled, standing as I drew nearer, and the sky seemed to brighten. The apprehension I felt lifted and was replaced by an inexplicable lightness that spread through me at the sight of him.

I continued to advance, wanting to keep moving. I wasn't exactly sure what I should do, but I was positive that being anywhere near Haven would only lead to problems I was unprepared for.

The silhouette of his athletic build was accentuated by the clingy shirt he wore, indicating he too had been doing some form of exercise. I stepped closer, recognizing a sheen of sweat on his skin and couldn't help but notice that his arms and chest were better toned than I'd been giving him credit for. Thank God I wasn't the only one sweating. He waited where he stood for me to approach, never moving his eyes from my face; and in that fleeting instant I wondered if he didn't possibly feel the same thing I felt every time I looked at him.

"You following me?" I asked, looking around for the path I wished I was still on.

"Sort of. Do you mind?"

My head whipped back in his direction. "What?" I exclaimed, unable to conceal the shock in my voice. "How did you know where I would be?"

He shrugged, throwing me one of his irresistible dimple-smiles. "Your grandmother said you ran on the beach in the evening, and I figured since your evening was sort of disrupted yesterday, you might want to do it this morning. This is where I always end up."

"And why would you want to 'end up' where I am?" As eager as I had been to get to this spot, I now found myself equally impatient to leave it.

"It seemed the only way to get you alone."

"Why? Why would you want to do that?"

His eyes twinkled. "That is an excellent question."