Part 4 - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"You travel with a personal physician?"

He repressed a smile. "No,"

I shrugged. "It isn't necessary, I really don't need any more help." I insisted, standing and slipping the robe over my shoulders. Doug stood at the same time, still way too close.

The corners of Haven's mouth tightened. "I'm sure you're right, but it would make me feel better. You seem to have a habit of falling down lately." He made a movement indicating the couch behind me, and the silent command made my temper flare. If not for the elevator opening at that very moment because an in-room masseuse accidentally used "the wrong key code", I would have resisted. Instead I shot Haven a small glare. When I turned to sit, Doug smiled up at me, patting the space beside him. I rolled my eyes toward Haven.

"Seriously?"

"I don't have a habit of making pointless requests."

"Well I don't have a habit of following orders from strangers."

"We're hardly strangers, Tabitha. And stubbornness isn't something I consider a virtue."

I sighed, reluctantly sitting but refusing to relax. "And do you see any reason I might want you to consider me virtuous?"

Doug burst out laughing at that, and Haven raised an eyebrow.

"Would you two like to be alone?" Doug asked.

I looked between them. "You guys aren't going to kill me or steal my kidneys or something, are you?" I asked, trying to not illustrate just how much I needed to have that information.

Haven smiled but it didn't touch his eyes. "If we were going to do that, wouldn't we have taken you fully into the room?"

I was only slightly comforted.

The elevator bell sounded again, and a slight, expeditious man in glasses stepped out. "Mr. Casey?"

"Thank you for coming so quickly." Haven shook the man's hand and nodded toward me. "She's had a head-meets-door incident recently and just fainted in the elevator." As he spoke, Haven stepped closer to where I sat. The motion seemed almost protective, and every inch of my body was very aware of his proximity. My reaction to Haven confused me, but I supposed it was just the shock of blacking-out for the first time in my life. "Tabitha, this is Doctor Bennett." Haven continued. It was just bad timing that my skin warmed at his being so near and my cheeks flushed.

"This is beyond unnecessary. I'm fine."

"Would you like to step into a room for some privacy, Miss?" Dr. Bennett asked politely.

"I would not."

"Your face is flushed. Do you feel dizzy?"

I blushed more deeply at being called out. "No. Honestly, I'm fine. I just have a headache because I haven't eaten yet today."

"Well that explains it then." He said with a fatherly smile, "Would you mind if I took your pulse and blood pressure anyway?"

Since my pulse was going wild at that moment thanks to Haven, I really wished he wouldn't. I glanced from Dr. Bennett into Haven's face and relented. I could see he wasn't letting this go without a fight. "If that would expedite things."

"It certainly would." Dr. Bennett answered, looking relieved. "Do you want to step into the room, or are you more comfortable out here?"

"I'm fine where I am."

He looked at Haven and Doug. "In that case gentlemen, would you mind stepping inside for a moment so I may take Miss...uh, Miss..."

"Tabitha." Haven assisted. "Her name is Tabitha."