Every time he walked into a room I could feel the tension spike. I could feel the room temperature drop from his coldshoulder and icy look in his eyes. A small part of me was almost convinced he saved his coldshoulder just for me—like he was especially upset with me—but I couldn't figure out why, and it's not like he was willing to have a civil conversation with me. Niall said Archie just needs to get used to the babies, but it's been three months; how much longer does he need?

I was almost looking forward to him going to Maria's this weekend. It was the only time I got a bit of relief from the aggravating headache he gave me. I love him to death, don't get me wrong, but...he's just been getting on my nervous, and I don't particularly need that when I have two babies that are on my nerves all day and night.

My ears perked up as I heard an engine outside, and for a split dread pooled in my stomach as I thought it was Archie's bus pulling up outside. I wasn't ready to deal with him just yet. But I quickly realized it was only noon and I had another couple hours before Archie got home.

There was a knock at the door and both the twins' eyes popped open. "We have a visitor," I said excitedly. I got to my feet and scampered over to the door, looking out the window to see Princess and Kitten standing on the other side. As soon as I ripped the door open, we all squealed and squeezed into a group hug.

"What are you doing here?" We pulled out of our hug just in time for me to catch Pickles before he bolted out the door and gently toss him towards the living room.

"To see the little nuggets," Iris gushed, then walked past me. "Where are they? Give them here. Here baby, baby. Oh! Look at you two! You're so—oh God. Angel! Your son needs a diaper change, STAT."

I looked towards Gemma as I closed the door. "We had the day off, so we decided to visit the new momma and help out for a little—"

Iris' screech cut her off. "Connie! He's leaking!"

----

I placed Zach in Iris' arms and Aria in Gemma's, only to take her right back when she started crying. "She's not good with anyone that isn't me or Niall...mostly Niall," I explained. "Zach is friendlier."

"You definitely made some cute ones," Iris cooed, making a face at Zach. "Look at those cheeks. Oh, I'm so in love!" She pulled him into a hug and I laughed a little at the blank stare on his face. "Is Archie enjoying his new siblings?"

"Yeah, how's Archie's doing with everything?"

Just then it hit me that I haven't spoken much to Iris or Gemma since the twins were born. If I talked to them like I used to, they would already know about the rift between me and Archie. They know that he doesn't like being around them, and the constant bickering that I always find myself in with him. They would know everything.

But they don't. As far as they're concerned, we're still a happy family plus two, and a big part of me wanted to keep it that way. I've lost the motivation to automatically tell them about everything in my life, and I don't want to start digging things up and sound like I'm complaining. I did ask for this after all. Dumping all my hardships on them would make me seem ungrateful.

"He's been really helpful. A great big brother," I smiled. "He does like Zach a bit more since he's a lot less fussy than Aria."

"Maybe when she's a bit older he'll like her move," Gemma suggested. "They could play dress up together." I truly don't see that happening. "He'll be her protective big brother." I just smiled and nodded.

Gemma and Iris stayed for a couple more hours before heading home. As I watched them drive away, I felt a bit of envy aching at my chest. They were able to just visit this, while I was stuck at home either alone with the babies, or with the babies and bickering with Archie. I didn't get to drive away from anything. This is my life now. And I want to tell myself that this is what I've wanted for years, for so, so long—but I didn't want it to be like this.